Need Equipment Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
I have questions, lots of questions. On about my 6 batch of AG, bought a started equipment kit with 2 10Gallon coolers (MLT and HLT). And love this hobby and want to upgrade but want to do it the right way. I have a quote for a 2 Teir brew stand. But I have questions on gear and need your help.

1) Plate Chiller vs Immersion Chiller- I have a IC but with a new brewstand could add a plate chiller which is better? My take is IC lets me rack off the break material post boil but can't with PC and PC pain in ass to clean but more efficient. what else?

2)March Pump- Any big benefit to having a pump besides moving fluid from one vessel to next, ie is a vorlauf more effective or faster?

3)Burners- Right now have a blichman floor burner which will be integrated for the boil burner, but have to decide between BG 10 or BG 12 for MLT and HLT. Recommendations?

I prefer the ic because it is easier to clean, and with a pump you can recirculate mash through it in the bk to raise mash temps...

Plate chiller + 30 pounds of ice + 15mins, on a 100F day = 12 gals of wort in conical at 68F.
For me Plate chiller, will never look back.
Now wishing I had two pumps:) once you have one you always wonder how you did without it.
Burners just a matter of preference.
Hope this helps:)

The boiling of wort can be as easy or complex as you make it.

I had, but sold a pump and plate chiller here and many more items. I ended up purchasing other equipment for my hobby, not on the hot side but the cold side, e.g. another upright freezer, temp controller, more cornys, spunding valve.

I understand equipment build up. Mine has morph-ed over time. You can make good beer with what you have now.

My brew day is a keggle and a bag. View my last 3 photos dated 10/23/11 from yesterday's brew here; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscientistbrewhaus/

1 - Personal preference. ICs are easier to clean, and have the advantage of cooling the whole volume of wort at once, (Great for whirlpooling your aroma hop addition). Plate chillers are potentially faster and use less water. (You can also plate chill and recirculate to do the whirlpooling aroma hop thing too). Plate chillers are prone to clogging, ICs aren't. Without a pump, Plate chillers can be a beyotch to gravity feed if your setup isn't just right.

2 - Just makes things easier. Easier to transfer, almost a requirement if you have a plate chiller, (but again, you can gravity feed, just not as versatile), allows recirculation after the boil for whirlpooling, opens up all kinds of new mashing tricks.

3- heck if I know - I use my cheapo craigslist no-name burners :D

Back