The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Need advice quick

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
dummkauf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Need advice quick

In the middle of my first AG batch. Calculated temps using beer smith and added 165F water to my 74F grain bed. It's been sitting for about 30 min now and I just took another temp and it's at 166!!! My target was 154F, which I hit perfectly after adding the water and stirring well for a few minutes, however it seems to have gotten hotter. The coolers sitting out on my deck and it's about 80F out today, is this normal for it to get hotter like this as it sits?

Should I open the lid and let it cool to 154, close the lid, and then start the 60 min timer again, or should I just leave it and see what happens?

Note that I am batch sparging in the rectangle cooler with the braided steel hose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

open the lid, put some ice and stir till it comes down to desired temp. If you get more runoff into the kettle, boil longer, or leave some behind. We all have done this once or 10 times!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 07-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
dummkauf
Recipes 

ok, so once I get the temp down, do I restart the timer at 60 min? or do I get it down and start vorlaf in 20 minutes?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Before you do anything, calibrate your thermometers. Something is not right!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

I have done the same thing. I was heating the water up, and I got it to what I thought was 170, (really 178), and then mixed it in the MT and was waaay higher than anticipated.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
dummkauf
Recipes 

my concern is that as soon as I hit my water temp I dumped it in. Is it possiblee the water was still heating up several degrees after I turnded the burner off and dumped it in.

I've been using this digital thermometer for quite a while and have yet to see anything to lead me to belive it's not accurate, but I guess it could be too. I just shoved a turkey thermometer in to see what it says, but I have way less confidence in the turkey therm than my digital probe.

Last edited by dummkauf; 07-18-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
dummkauf
Recipes 

so assuming it's not a thermometer issue, should I continue for an addiional 60 min after I drop to the right temp, or start draining it either way?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 117

+1 on the calibrating your thermometers, I have 2 reliable cheapy dial ones that get checked on every other batch, and I have not had to make any adjustments yet, I have one for the hot side that was calibrated in boiling distilled water, this gets used for strike and sparge water as well as verifying mash temps, I have another one used for chilling, it was calibrated in ice water, I have 2 beacuse I found that if calibrated in ice water it was off in boiling water, and if I calibrated it in boiling water it was off in ice water. I do have a few digital thermos as well, but I have found them to be off as well, I really need to get a trusted digital one that I can calibrate. hopefully it will be accurate across the board.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I find that the stovetop heated water is usually a little hotter than my reading and I almost always overshoot my mash temp, usually only by 3-4 degrees. In order to fix my mash temp I make sure my brita pitcher in the fridge is full in case I need to cool the temp and I save extra brewing water that I can put into one of those electric tea kettles to get a quick couple of pints of boiling water.

This way I can always correct my mash temp within 5 minutes.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I think giving it a few extra minutes wouldnt cause any harm, I had a 60 min mash go for 90 min because of an unexpected pet issue. the beer turned out great.

I have mashed in the sun here when it was 118° outside, by the end of the 60 min it only went up 1-2° so it could be your cooler, or a thermo accuracy problem. I had a dial thermo that I used for grilling, it would stick at 145° I did not know this til I got pissed that dinner never seemed to finish I flicked the dial in frustration while yelling at the roast to "COOK!" the dial immidiately climbed up to 185°.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Quick Reply