Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My wife is leaving me.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My wife is leaving me.

Yup, she's leaving me........

But just for a week, she will be out of state then she will be home for a week then gone to Africa for 2 weeks. Looks like I will have a lot of time to do some brewing...

So, I am planning to bust out my first AG brew while she's gone. Going with Ed's Haus Pale Ale.
I have the gear to do 10 gallon batches. So what do you think? Should I go all out and do a 10 gallon batch of this or just stick to the 5 gallon batch.
It's my first AG and I have no idea how well my MLT is going to do or how well I'm going to do.
Or my other choice is to do 5 gallons on one day and another 5 of either the same or a different brew the next day..
Any thoughts? Anyone else have a tried and true recipe that is a good starter brew that I could do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine too! She's taking my daughter out to San Diego and helping her move into the dorm for college. I have 3 weeks to get ready for brew week.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome man! Good luck with the all grain. I would say since you have such a long span and some time to brew, do a few 5 gallon batches. This will give you time to practice the routine and help you find the efficiency of your system. Plus, this will give you more excuses to drink wonderful home brew while you're hard at work brewing. Ahh, the good life.

Let us know how things go!

In the Works:

Old 08-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
neckbone
Recipes 

Suprise the he!! ouf of her when she gets home. Have 10-15 carboys full of liquid goodness. That'll teach her to leave you for that long.

My best friends dad used to love it when his mom would go out of town. One time, he bought a Porsche, one time he bought a Harley, one time a boat, one time started building his garage and wine cellar, also, many guns were purchased during her trips. She used to go out of town for a week at a time 3-4 times a year. Funny thing is that his new purchases would be gone within a couple weeks of her getting home.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: Squat
Bottled: Nut Brown

Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

When my wife is busy or out of town, etc., the first thing I think about is brewing.

Hmmm, are we pathetic, or roxxorz? A little of both, I suppose.

I just dropped 130 bills on ingredients. 55-lb sack of Gleneagles Maris Otter. Bunch of miscellaneous specialty grains. Some bulk LME. WLP099. More montrachet and nottingham packs.

I'm a bit surprised at how fast I went through that last sack of M.O....but damn, I love the gleneagles for my house base malt. Kicks the shiznit out of regular old pale 2-row any day.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Umm, why not a 10 gal of Haus and 10 more of summit else? I mean, you're already gonna be doing most of the same work, so doubling up just seems like the logical thing to do if you've got the equipment. Best of both worlds .

Old 08-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
FSR402

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
Umm, why not a 10 gal of Haus and 10 more of summit else? I mean, you're already gonna be doing most of the same work, so doubling up just seems like the logical thing to do if you've got the equipment. Best of both worlds .
I was thinking along those lines but at the same time, if I'm going to really F*ck it up I would rather it onl be a 5er not a 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 08-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The beauty of a 10 gallon batch of my Haus Pale is you put in a pack of Nottingham in each fermenter. No need to make a big starter and try to pour half in each fermenter while wondering which one got the most. It's hard to F it up.

Then again, you have time and two batches just up your experience points.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Mine too! She's taking my daughter out to San Diego and helping her move into the dorm for college. I have 3 weeks to get ready for brew week.
Are you totally freaked out about having a daughter in college? I have a 2 and 4 yr old and am REALLY not looking forward to that ...or dating.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
The beauty of a 10 gallon batch of my Haus Pale is you put in a pack of Nottingham in each fermenter. No need to make a big starter and try to pour half in each fermenter while wondering which one got the most. It's hard to F it up.

Then again, you have time and two batches just up your experience points.
Hey Ed...question: when you split a batch up into two carboys, is there ever a difference between the two? it seems like there's a good possibility there for more break solids in one, etc.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply