Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My new goal- $10.00 to make 5 gallons

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #121
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
You are correct.

I think the point of the thread, how cheaply can I make a nice tasting beer is very worthwhile.

Saying I want to make beer for 10 bucks....is abitrary and really not possible when you are taking everything into account(except equipment and labor). Despite how many times someone wants to tell me I'm wrong and then not add things like cleaners, star san, corn sugar(or c02) and boiling power into the equation.

You can probably get pretty close if you back yourself into some ridiculous ingredient costs and brew with electric or nat gas, save star san, dont pitch an appropriate ammount of reused viable yeast cells, ect.

I tend to go about it the other direction. I want to make the most high quality beers possible at the lowest cost, but thats just me based on my circumstances.
To be fair, I do think it's silly to add 12 cents for Starsan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #122
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
You are correct.

I think the point of the thread, how cheaply can I make a nice tasting beer is very worthwhile.

Saying I want to make beer for 10 bucks....is abitrary and really not possible when you are taking everything into account(except equipment and labor). Despite how many times someone wants to tell me I'm wrong and then not add things like cleaners, star san, corn sugar(or c02) and boiling power into the equation.

You can probably get pretty close if you back yourself into some ridiculous ingredient costs and brew with electric or nat gas, save star san, dont pitch an appropriate ammount of reused viable yeast cells, ect.

I tend to go about it the other direction. I want to make the most high quality beers possible at the lowest cost, but thats just me based on my circumstances.
Its possible. I bet you don't count supplies, or where your money goes with the supplies you get but a lot of us do that's why many of us can make a 10$ batch feasible. I'll break a recipe down for you so you can see it work.

Lets say Centennial (c-type) Blonde, which makes a pretty darn good beer.

6 lbs, 9 oz 2-row @ 35$/55lb bag = $0.63/lb. = 4.13
11.3 oz cara-pils @ 1.79/lb from LHBS = 1.26
7.5 oz vienna @ 1.70/lb = 0.80
7.5 crystal 10 @ 1.70/lb = 0.80
1/2 oz C-type @ 1.10/oz = 0.55
1/2 oz cascade @ 1.10/oz = 0.55 (or free if you have home grown like I did)

Washed yeast, starter made from wort taken from last batch = 9 batches so far with it so... 3.99/9= 0.44. But this is going to keep going and will get cheaper.

Propane= 1.66 per batch. Last tank @ 20$ lasted me over 12 hours. 20/12= 1.66 with a ROLLING boil.

Star san= 7.99/8 oz. I have about 4 oz left after 25 batches, so I assume 50 batches for the bottle but I'm guessing i'll get even more out of it. I use a spay bottle. No infections either. So 7.99/50= 0.16/batch.

Sugar (table) from wegmans = I believe 2.99$/5lbs @ 3.5 oz/batch = 0.13

Caps= 2.99/144= 1$/50

Grand total of 11.35 assuming

1) you don't use a different sanitizer, don't use swing tops to bottle (I have 1 g worth of these), don't have home grown hops, and use propane, and you have only used the yeast for only 9 batches.

10$ is feasible. Starters (if needed) can be made from wort form the previous batch. I collect a little extra if I know I'm not making successive batches and use that. I also get 78-low 80's depending on the batch for efficiency. And I make a darn good variety of tasty beers.

Toasting your own will save another 2$, swing tops another 1$, more batches with the same yeast $0.30, electric another 1$, home grown hops another 1$....

If you did any of the above you can get below 10$ easily.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #123
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 547 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
I will say this as PC as possible...I think some people here are fudging their numbers or possibly calculating costs based on the cheapest ever prices they've paid for ingredients.

I for one don't know any homebrewers who get grain for less then .72/lb and in our state you have to pay sales tax. Most hops cost at least .62/oz. Most specialty grains cost at least 1.50/lb although I can't find them anywhere for that price....and propane costs vary considerably depending on where in the country you are, but factor in cleaning supplies, water, brewing salts (if you use them) I think if you make a batch for $10 it's pretty impressive.

My standard pale ale, if I exclude hops costs me 9.80 for grain alone, and that's group buy pale malt at .80/lb and 1.80 for a pound of specialty malt.
That's because most of our malts come from out-of-state. Who's the nearest malter? Great Western? They're in WA, IIRC.

Tax on malt? I just bought 150#, and I'm pretty sure I didn't pay tax on it. It's a foodstuff, and not even a prepared one. Just called my LHBS and they said no tax on grain in CA. Do your county have special rules?

Propane in CA is not hard to find under $18 per 15# swap, and I've paid under $1/lb at feed stores for refills in the past.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #124
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Two silver medal beers on tap right now. (St. Louis Brews Holiday Competition)

On the left a Blonde Ale pouring at 23 cents a pint.

On the right a Vienna Lager that pushes at around 29 cents a pint.

I'm good with the freshest of fresh beers at those prices.

tap_-_medals.jpg

Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #125
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
That's because most of our malts come from out-of-state. Who's the nearest malter? Great Western? They're in WA, IIRC.

Tax on malt? I just bought 150#, and I'm pretty sure I didn't pay tax on it. It's a foodstuff, and not even a prepared one. Just called my LHBS and they said no tax on grain in CA. Do your county have special rules?

Propane in CA is not hard to find under $18 per 15# swap, and I've paid under $1/lb at feed stores for refills in the past.
Edit: you're from MarysVILLE...not Maryland. Sorry about that.

I also see you're right about grain not being taxable. I think I have found a beef with my LHBS.

FWIW, I'd guess propane up there is FAR cheaper then down here. I figure $25 a fill in SB. Here's my closest propane fill station:
http://www.altfuelprices.com/stations/LPG/California/Santa-Barbara/

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #126
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 318

If you want to start cutting costs Bobbi, start farming your own yeast. That will save a ton of money right there. If your soil is ok, grow some hops. Being in Florida I don't know what varieties would grow good there, it gets pretty hot in the summer, but HG hops are pretty cheap (although Hops Direct is pretty darn cheap to begin with if you get in on the fall harvest before it sells out and buy enough to make shipping worthwhile. You can also mash your own starter wort and pressure can it instead of use DME. I'm about as frugal as they come and I can crank out 5 gallons for about $12 once you add up all the costs and consumables. But I keep my OG between 1.060 and 1.070 most of the time. If I brewed more sessionable beers, I could easily drop that below $10.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #127
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
FWIW, I'd guess propane up there is FAR cheaper then down here. I figure $25 a fill in SB. Here's my closest propane fill station:
http://www.altfuelprices.com/stations/LPG/California/Santa-Barbara/

A Blue Rhino or AmeriGas exchange is $18 almost everywhere here for 15#. I'm under 2 hours from the refineries in Benicia, but I can't imagine the LA port area has none within 2 hours of you.

I see your link is 4.80 per GALLON. At 4.11 lbs/gal for LPG, you're looking at $1.16/lb, or $17.52 per 15# refill.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #128
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
A Blue Rhino or AmeriGas exchange is $18 almost everywhere here for 15#. I'm under 2 hours from the refineries in Benicia, but I can't imagine the LA port area has none within 2 hours of you.

I see your link is 4.80 per GALLON. At 4.11 lbs/gal for LPG, you're looking at $1.16/lb, or $17.52 per 15# refill.
The tanks are 5G no? Maybe I'm not smart enough to avoid getting ripped off...but personally, I just paid 23 and change for a fill at that exact station.

I've weighed my blue rhino (refills 24.99 at my local OSH btw) and been short changed. If I could find one that fills them all the way for $18 bucks and didn't exchange my good tanks for old rusted ones, I'd probably be open to it.

The port is at San Pedro and that's 2.5hours (minimum) from me. Santa Barbara is notorious for having some of the highest fuel prices in the state. Check out the websites that show gas prices for an example. A lot of folks don't quite understand how expensive it is to live here even though we look out at the oil platforms everyday.

I'm not being closed minded. If someone can actually verify a cheaper place to get propane in SB I'd be all over it, but by the time I drive to LA (100 miles away) I'm not saving any money.

Edit: BTW, I really appreciate the feedback. I brew often enough that prices add up. 12 times a year for my brewclub monthly competitions and 1-2 more batches per month for personal drinking beers. I have 6 Homebrews on tap right now, and 2 that I don't have any taps for....and one in the fermenter right now. Hoping to brew this weekend too, but I'm down to my last keg! One last edit addition. Our nearest LHBS is 35-40 minutes away either direction. Half the time I drive to the wrong one and they don't have what I need LOL!

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #129
thadius856

Recipes 

Quote:
The tanks are 5G no?
They're 20#. So close enough to 5 gal (4.86).

Exchanges are always 15#.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #130
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
They're 20#. So close enough to 5 gal (4.86).

Exchanges are always 15#.
Oh...I see. In that case the exchange price at my local OSH is INSANE! LOL.

Quick Reply