Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is my Mash Tun ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
beerrepository
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is my Mash Tun ruined?

So I was doing my first all grain batch, which didn't go well but that is another story, and at the end day, consumed with frustration, I did something so completely stupid. I left the grain in the mash tun. For a long time.

When I opened it I almost lost it. It was something I had never smelled before. Like spoiled vegetables mixed with gasoline. I cleaned out the mash tun and then gave it a 24 hour bath in very hot water and OxyClean. That got rid of all the stains but the faint smell still lingers. I have it soaking again now, but I am starting to wonder if I should just throw in the towel and rebuild this thing. My fittings should still be fine.

What do you guys think? Its a coleman 72 quart, but not the extreme so I think it loses a lot of heat, but I don't have anything to compare it to. When I calibrated it with Beer Tools Pro, it lost 5 degrees after 5 minutes and 14 degrees after 65.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it were me, I'd do two or three more long soaks with Oxyclean before I threw in the towel.

Your description of the smell is quite vivid, by the way. I feel like I'm there, smelling it along with you!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

you are fine try PBW and starsan or if you want it to throw some beach in there and continue to soak a couple more times but all in all you should be fine

KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 434 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Heck with the smell, I would start over if you're losing that much heat. That sounds really excessive for heat loss unless you're able to re-heat and maintain temp with a degree or two.

three or four degrees within a mash can make a big difference... never mind 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
dogtailale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Heck with the smell, I would start over if you're losing that much heat. That sounds really excessive for heat loss unless you're able to re-heat and maintain temp with a degree or two.

X2
Plus that cooler is way to big. Try to use a better fitting cooler. I got both a 10gl and a 15gl. If your cooler is too big for the amount of grain you'll lose more heat.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

If it still stinks after a couple more soakings with oxy, fill it up with hot tap water and dump at least 1 but more likely 2 boxes of baking soda into it and seal it up for a couple days. Or you could try the fridge trick and just pierce the boxes and stick them dry into the cooler, seal it up and see if it pulls all the odors into the soda.

Welcome to the world of lactobasillus.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockdoc View Post
you are fine try PBW and starsan or if you want it to throw some beach in there and continue to soak a couple more times but all in all you should be fine
Does it matter what beach he throws in? Being from Indiana he'll have to get some beach shipped in. Should it be from the East, west, or South?

Could he substitute artificial beach from something inland?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Ernst-Haeckel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post

Yeah, I would totally toss it. But I am super sensitive about smells, and that's a smell that I could consistently convince myself through paranoia is always there to some degree (even if it's not). Then I would convince myself that I can smell it in my beers, and blame any off-flavors in my beers on that smell, completely missing the real cause - it's a vicious cycle to say the least!

I do the same thing with iodophor; I used it once to sanitize some bottles, and I swear I can still smell it on some of the bottles months later, even after sanitizing in starsan!

Just weird I guess!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Ernst-Haeckel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Does it matter what beach he throws in? Being from Indiana he'll have to get some beach shipped in. Should it be from the East, west, or South?

Could he substitute artificial beach from something inland?
There's always the dunes in northern Indiana!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done this before too. The smell I got was more bubble gum/banana though. What I did was clean it out really well with hot water, and drain it to clean out the fittings. Then I just left it out in the sun with the lid off for a few days. It still has a little smell to it, but now it just smells like barley. I def wouldn't toss it.

Quick Reply