Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My mash ph seems too low, what should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
mojo_wire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default My mash ph seems too low, what should I do?

Doing a Belgian pale ale with 8 lbs of grain and 1.5 lbs of sugar.

I checked the ph of my mash and it seems to be 5.0. I used test strips that I'm sure aren't the most accurate in the world but every time I've ever used them they have matched up with a 5.4 ph. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the grains I'm using were crushed a few months ago, so I think that might be the problem. My temps are okay.

If I am in fact mashing with a ph that is too low is there any fix necessary? I assume this will thin the beer out and I could add some maltodextrine. I can also add some DME if necessary but I done have a refractometer, so I'm not sure how much to add. I also don't have iodine, so I'm just assuming that conversion is occurring.

RDWHAB?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
mojo_wire
Recipes 

I also have some amalyse enzymes, which I've never used before, but if that might be useful I'm all ears.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

There is considerable experimental evidence that test strips read .3 pH low on mashes. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/An_Evaluation_of_the_suitability_of_colorpHast_str ips_for_pH_measurements_in_home_brewing

So, with the fudge factor your 5.0 is pretty good, but the 5.4 is a little worrisome. In general too low is better than too high. I’ve had batches at 5.0 on a pH meter and they were fine, maybe a little acidic on the stomach.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Thanks. I'm going to assume my test strips are getting old.

RDWHAB it is. Never failed me before.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Fyi a bit of baking soda will bring up your mash pH.

What temp did you test at? That makes a difference.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
Davethebrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Graduate to a good pH meter. The strips are not accurate. Also, it depends on the temp the equipment is calibrated at. This is often around room temp so you must add about .3 for a mash temp of 150. So at 5 you may be a very nice 5.3. I would worry about 5.4 which goes to 5.7.

Quick Reply