New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My Mash Is Bigger Than My Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 PM   #11
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

You could also, for this batch, use a brewing bucket to mash in.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles
You could also, for this batch, use a brewing bucket to mash in.
I was going to make that suggestion, then I thought of something even more awesome...

Make it a double. Mash half the grains, then heat the wort back up to mashing temps, dump out the old grains, add the new grains, and remash with the wort. Sure, it still adds time to your brew day, however, at least you're doing it to replicate a cool old process rather than resigning yourself to equipment limitations. Randy Mosher talks about this in Radical Brewing and I am pretty excited at the thought of giving it a try...

If you try the double mash, I am guessing it will hurt your efficiency, so you'll probably still want a pound or two of DME to make up any deficiency there.

Otherwise, just buy a Walmart special cooler for $15 and put a SS braid in the bottom, run the tubing up over the top of the cooler and down the side. Siphon.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
mozicodo

Recipes 

Well we have a 70qt Coleman Xtreme that I can convert to a batch sparge. I'll have to fiddle with how to set it up, because I want to easily break it down and switch it back to the regular cooler.

According to the Can I Mash It? calculator, I can mash up to 44lbs.

Xtreme Mashtun Build Open Beer Data Project @aptidude on identi.ca

Android Software: ZymTools Free ZymTools Full

Quick Reply