Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My Maredsous 8 Quest...please be critical! :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Coohang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My Maredsous 8 Quest...please be critical! :)

OK – fellow home brewers – I need advice. I have homebrewed for a few years (extract and partial mash) and have recently got my single tier HERMs all grain system up and running. I am 30 gallons in and a feel comfortable with my rig. I also have a fermentation chamber to control ferm temps….

One of my goals is to brew a version of Maredsous 8 – a belgian ale that I think is awesome. I have searched all over and have seen partial threads – but no real solid recipes with follow up. With what I have (and what I have stolen from other threads) – I will explain my plan….

Proposed Recipe (5 gal):
12 lbs Belgian Pilsner (I will use Franco-Belges Pilsen)
1 lb Caramunich Malt 60
1 lb Special B Malt

Mash at 152F for 70 min
Mash out at 165F for 10 min

90 min boil
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Saaz (10 min)
Add Dextrose (corn sugar) to reach desired OG to get 8% ABV during last 15 min (OG around 1.070)

Cool and oxygenate.
Pitch yeast at 64F. WY1388 (750mL starter on stir plate).

Primary: After 5 days at 68-70F – heat ramp to 81-82F until terminal gravity.
Secondary: crash temps to low 50F’s for 2 weeks.
Bottle: re-pitch small starter of WY1388 and corn sugar (store at 70F for at least 3 weeks – or until carbonated)

What does everyone think of this plan?
Anything that should be changed/altered?
Has anyone tried to clone Maredsous 8?
Any and all help/comments/criticisms are accepted – I will try to update this thread during my quest…

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
SDVmnt
Recipes 

Maredsous 10 is one of my favorite beers.. I blame this beer for my "good" beer addiction

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Candi syrup inc. one of the importers of belgian sugars has some clone recipes that are probably close for both the 8 and 10. Admittedly their recipes strangely always include their products :P. In this case you can probably replace the syrup with a similar amount of table sugar or dextrose and achieve a close approximation.
http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html
Here's another discussion with a similar recipe on the NB forums
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/view...hp?f=4&t=32031

Old 02-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Coohang
Recipes 

@rockfish - thanks for the comments. I have seen the candisyrup clone - and the NB forum discussion. I am hoping to hear from someone who has tried one of these - at least learn from their mistakes

A while back - I also ran across the below site. I emailed for a copy of the recipe...no luck. http://www.humpsbrewing.bluegosling....ubbel-trouble/

Keep the comments/suggestions coming....

Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I don't know if it will be a clone, but it looks like a nice recipe for a Belgian.

Instead of corn sugar you can just use plain table sugar. I have also used turbinado sugar in some of my Belgians and it adds a nice taste to the brew. I have used the Candi Syrup products and I highly recommend them, they are very good. I often add the sugar after fermentation slows, usually about 4-5 days. Just boil the sugar up in a little water, cool and add to the fermenter. This lets the yeast work on the more complex sugars of the wort for a few days and then they get a feast of simple sugars later.

Your fermentation schedule looks great. Pitch low and slowly get the temp up works great.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Coohang
Recipes 

Beergolf - thanks for the idea. After I add the sugar (after 4 or 5 days in the primary) - exactly how fast do ramp up the temp? Example - 3 degrees per day until you reach 80F?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I usually raise the temperature 2 degrees a day after the first couple of days of fermentation.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Coohang
Recipes 

Well all...starting my starter in the morning. Planning on brewing the first attempt Monday...let me know if you have any last minute suggestions! More posts to come...

Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Coohang
Recipes 

Trial #1 is in the fermenter. Brew day went pretty well. 70% efficiency with 5 gallons at 1.067. Why is 70% making me feel crappy?

I am assuming that I will need to add 1 lb of dextrose to get up in the 8% range. I plan on doing that in a few days...then start the heat ramp...

Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Coohang
Recipes 

Ok all - I have a question and would really like your thoughts. I hope that I am not over thinking this....which I am known to do.

Please see above for my proposed fermentation schedule and other comments.

As of now - this is in the primary with active fermentation which started pretty quickly (12 hrs at 64F, then bumped it up to 68F - it has been at this temp for about 48 hrs). All is going well....

My question/issue - I have to add 1 lb of dextrose (per comments above I was thinking around day 4or5 when active fermentation starts to decrease) and I also have to start the heat ramp (up to 80F in 2F/day increments).

Exactly how would you do this (in what order - or does it matter)? Would you start the heat ramp prior to adding dextrose - or would you wait until a few days after adding dextrose to start the heat ramp?

Quick Reply