Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My Makita 5-Gal MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default My Makita 5-Gal MLT

I bought a 5 Gal Makita round cooler to convert into a MLT. I've bought all the parts for it based on the 10Gal Igloo cooler conversion from the sticky. Things have gone well except one major problem. All parts for the conversion are on a 3/8" setup. The hole left in the wall of the Makita cooler seems to be 1/2". This has caused me problems with getting a good seal with my washers. Just wondering about others experience with conversion. HOW BIG IS THE HOLE IN THE IGLOO? Wondering if I'm just having a bad fabrication day!

Anyone else use a Makita cooler???

Thanks,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default update...

So I got it to work with duct tape! Nahhh just kidding, but i did use electrical tape. The problem was that the diameter of the threaded tube wasn't wide enough to fit snuggly into the opening where the spigot was removed. This allowed the gaskets on each side to fall down into the opening causing a poor seal. Solution = wrap the threaded tube with a few wraps of electrical tape to increase the diameter uniformly (wrap it very carefully). All gaskets fit snugly over it, being held in place and giving me a good seal. Now if I just had ingredients for my first partial mash brew!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

question is, will it hold its seal with 4 gallons of water at 150F with 12 lbs of grain?

Your best bet is to use all 1/2" parts. The rubbermaids and igloos must have a tighter spigot hole.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply