Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My IPA II

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
todd_k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RVA
Posts: 2,577
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My IPA II

So I opened my 1st bottle of my IPA II today and as I was expecting there really isn't a whole lot of flavor. Here is the recipe:

5 gal batch
8# ultralight malt
2# munich
1# 2-row
1.5# crystal 15L
8 oz carapils
2 oz Magnum 60 min
2 oz Kent Goldings 5 min
2 oz Kent Goldings 1 min
1 tsp gypsum

I didn't dry hop which I right now I wish I did but I don't have any extra hops sitting around so I wasn't able to. I would have thought that 6 oz of hops would have given me a bit more flavor. The brew is also pretty cloudy. I kept it in the primary for 1 week, secondary for 3 weeks, and this is the 10th day in the bottle. Will the hop flavor increase/decrease with age?

__________________

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

todd_k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

hop character (in my experience) decreases with age.

as for why you don't have much hop character.... I can't answer than. There should definately be some hoppiness in that beer.

-walker

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
Ivan Lendl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,312
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

i would suggest spread the hops out from the middle on. dog fish head are really on to something with the continuously hopped technique. I usually have additions at 60, 30, 15, 0, dry hop.

Try using plugs for aroma/flavor instead of pellets. i do pellets for bittering, and plug for late addition AND dry hop. Ive noticed my last beer was a cali common, and compared to anchor's version, it lacked hop aroma. And i dry hopped with 2 oz of pellets. From now on im only using plug/whole hops for dry hopping...

__________________

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Ivan Lendl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 04:03 AM   #4
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Borg
i would suggest spread the hops out from the middle on. dog fish head are really on to something with the continuously hopped technique. I usually have additions at 60, 30, 15, 0, dry hop.
I add at 60, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #5
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
todd_k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RVA
Posts: 2,577
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Do you guys just divide up the ammount of hops into smaller portions to account for the extra additions or do you add a little more hops to the recipes? I believe I have only used pellets, I guess I just always thought plugs was another word for pellets.

__________________

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

todd_k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 04:08 AM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

plug = a compressed wad of whole hops.
pellet = ground up and pressed rabbit turds.

Click the "Kaduva IPA" link in my sig for my recipe and hop schedule. Basically, I have 5 oz of hops in the boil, and 4 oz of that is made up of several smallish additions spread out over the last 30 minutes.

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Ivan Lendl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,312
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneFloyd
Do you guys just divide up the ammount of hops into smaller portions to account for the extra additions or do you add a little more hops to the recipes? I believe I have only used pellets, I guess I just always thought plugs was another word for pellets.
Plugs are alot less processed then pellets. The are almost as good for aroma as whole hops are. As soon as they hit the wort, they break apart into basically whole hops. The advantages are that they are easy to work with, (they come in 1/2 oz. plugs about the diameter of a 50 cent piece), they are easy to store, which keeps em fresh. They only disadvantages are that they ae proceseed somewhat, and people feel that this compromises the integrety of the glands that contain the oils. (there are others who think that breaking these glands is good cuz. it realeses the oils faster)

whole or plugs are the best for flavor/aroma

Yes i spread out the hops by 'halving' them: instead of 1 oz. for 30 min. do 1/2 oz. for 30 and 1/2 oz. for 15....
__________________

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Ivan Lendl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Poo-Poo Land
Posts: 6,809
Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Borg
Plugs are alot less processed then pellets. The are almost as good for aroma as whole hops are. As soon as they hit the wort, they break apart into basically whole hops. The advantages are that they are easy to work with, (they come in 1/2 oz. plugs about the diameter of a 50 cent piece), they are easy to store, which keeps em fresh. They only disadvantages are that they ae proceseed somewhat, and people feel that this compromises the integrety of the glands that contain the oils. (there are others who think that breaking these glands is good cuz. it realeses the oils faster)

whole or plugs are the best for flavor/aroma

Yes i spread out the hops by 'halving' them: instead of 1 oz. for 30 min. do 1/2 oz. for 30 and 1/2 oz. for 15....
Why not just use whole hops? I'm totally into whole hops now that I've used them and experienced the difference. I spent about $3.00 on a finely meshed hop bag so the whole hops are easy to remove from the wort.

I might need to put in an order for some more hops soon. The 80/- kit came with pellets, but I think I'm going to replace them with whole hops from freshops.com. I keep them stored in ziplocks in our deep-freeze and they stay nice and fresh.
__________________
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.


Cheesefood is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,274
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Why not just use whole hops? I'm totally into whole hops now that I've used them and experienced the difference. I spent about $3.00 on a finely meshed hop bag so the whole hops are easy to remove from the wort.

Do you boil them in the bag? Wouldn't that affect your utilization since the hops aren't banging around as much?
__________________

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Chairman Cheyco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 AM   #10
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
todd_k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RVA
Posts: 2,577
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

So I sampled this IPA today and it's developed a creamy and almost soapy taste. I compare it to a draft beer after a bar has cleaned the keg lines and there is still a little soap left in the lines. It isn't a strong flavor but you know it's there. Any idea what this is from?

__________________

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

todd_k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools