The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My idea for a mash tun-please dont laugh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #141
dbsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
It's called muriatic acid and there are "green" versions of it available, as in non-toxic. I guess I just need to find out what temps cause galvanized metal to be harmful.
You should be more concerned with pH than temperature. Galvanized material is not good for food products. Acidic foods (such as wort) can cause it to leech zinc. Zinc can be toxic. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you really shouldn't use that thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #142
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith View Post
You should be more concerned with pH than temperature. Galvanized material is not good for food products. Acidic foods (such as wort) can cause it to leech zinc. Zinc can be toxic. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you really shouldn't use that thing.
I agree, it just isn't worth the risk to your beer (and your health, but c'mon, priorities people), espeically if you have a perfectly good SS sink kicking around. It isn't like brewing will ruin a SS sink (especially if it is just used for rinsing veggies), but a galvanized sink can certainly ruin some brewing.

Just my 2 cents, it is your sink, your hubby and your beer, so it is your call in the end.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #143
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

You can get a cooler for like $20, is this a troll thread?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #144
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Sure call me a troll, living in the woods, whatever. I will explain these things to hubby and see if I can get the stainless steel sink back. But with the burlap and duct tape now removed, it doesn't look that impressive. Just a sink. Fine, I will get back to what I was doing....

This sink was another one just used to clean greens, no one died from zinc poisoning that I know of....

Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #145
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

And I am planning to make a proper mash tun, from a cooler, my kits won't be here til Wednesday, I'll probably go BIAB when they get here, then try out the "proper" mash tun when I get it ready.

Maybe I'll just scrap the whole project, things are not working out the way I planned.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #146
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The End I call PRANK I'm gone

Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #147
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

I explained to hubby about the hot liquids going into it, and he said the same thing, well that won't work then. It'll release zinc poisoning. Stainless steel would be okay, but not this thing. Also said if I try to remove the galvanizing, it'll "rust like hell" and cause all sorts of new problems. He said just give him some time to get feeling better(surgery) and he'll help me build something proper, for the entire AG set-up. He said I could do this without using the SS sink, though why I can't use it is beyond me.

Yes, the end...

Quick Reply