Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My grain mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
jcojr72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Default My grain mill

Well thanks to the wealth of information here I just completed my DIY grain mill from a pasta machine. I picked up the mill from Joann Fabrics, and it just happened to be 50% off, so $12!!! I roughened up the rollers with a drill bit and built a hopper out of plywood (hopper holds 9.5lbs of grain). I cut a home in a plywood work table and bolted the mill to the table. I hang a bucket underneath to catch the grain. This thing works great for $12.

I just milled 9 lbs of grain for a brew tomorrow. I used a drill and it took me about 15 minutes. This seemed like a long time, I am wondering if I roughen the rollers some more I can reduce this time. Anyhow I am a little new to AG brewing and was wondering if someone could critique my crushed grain. It looks good to me, but I would not know otherwise. A picture of the mill and grain is below.

Thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
brewslut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Grain looks good from what I could make out in pic,hard to tell if the husks were not broken or split in half entact.**** even if it took you 15 min,I love your ambition to have found a way to crush grain at Joanne fabrics..Kick ass!! youre already headed for therapy and a divorce....hehe nice use of basic equip!!

NJHOPZ
http://www.njhopz.com
Final Gravity Podcast
http://www.finalgravitypodcast.com

Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I found that due to the small diameter of the rollers, they really need to be quite rough to pull the grain through at any speed. Also, a second pass through the mill will give you a more thorough crush. IMO, don't be afraid to really work the drill bit on the rollers so they are quite marred.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
jcojr72
Recipes 

Yes of all places Joanne fabrics. The conversation with the little old lady worker was quite amusing, something along these lines:

ME-"Excuse me, could you tell me where the pasta/clay rolling machines are?"

OLD LADY-"Yes follow me. Here it is and here are some clay supplies that you will need to get started."

ME-"No, I just need the machine"

OLD LADY-"Oh, you already have everything else"

ME-"Actually I am using this to brew BEER"

OLD LADY- (long pause and looks at me as if I have 3 eyes) "Oh...."

Thanks for the response. I guess my efficiency will tell the story tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
jcojr72
Recipes 

Oh yeah, mine are nowhere near as scratched up as yours wilserbrewer. I will need to hit them again. On average how quickly can you mill your grain?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcojr72 View Post
Oh yeah, mine are nowhere near as scratched up as yours wilserbrewer. I will need to hit them again. On average how quickly can you mill your grain?

I can't recall how long it took. I just used it for a batch or two as a fun experiment out of curiosity, and concluded I prefer the corona type mills. Not 15 minutes by any means. I also forund two passes at a wider setting gave a better and faster crush. Don't be afraid to really dig up those rollers.

The rollers need to "gouged" not scratched FWIW.

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 04-23-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply