Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My Fortune for One 5/8" Stainless Steel Fender Washer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #31
malt_shovel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How's about getting some silicone ovenware containers and chopping them into as many washers as you can for less than a buck all up? Its FDA approved and will look after all your hot brew work for many many sessions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #32
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Quote:
Originally Posted by malt_shovel View Post
How's about getting some silicone ovenware containers and chopping them into as many washers as you can for less than a buck all up? Its FDA approved and will look after all your hot brew work for many many sessions.

They need the hard washer to create a backing plate. The rubber/silicone washer goes behind that.

I bought a few big SS washers from Lowes and took them to work and drilled the inner hole for FREE on the lathe.

Maybe I should buy a bunch more and sell them here for profit!

Homer's Brew Log

Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #33
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Would this work?? They are $1 each

http://www.mcmaster.com/#fender-wash...ashers/=6bvlo3

Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #34
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 302

I used zinc. The washer turned glossy dark grey after my first hot water leak test and stayed that way ever since. It's not rusted or flaking or anything. Seems fine to me. *shrug*

Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #35
Hophunter
Recipes 

Just built my tun this past weekend and was unable to find a SS washer. I ended up buying a thick (1/16"?? thinnest I couldn't bend with my fingers) rigid nylon washer at Sears . It worked fine for my first AG. Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #36
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Couldn't find a 5/8's SS either. I purchases 5/8's Rubber washers thich ones. Then bought a 3/4 SS washer which you can get at Lowes or Homedepot. Worked fine. Just like to find a 5/8's SS sometime.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #37
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Here is an interesting question/idea... Instead of a 3/8" ball valve, I noticed the hole in the cooler wall could accomodate a little larger ball valve, such as a 1/2" ball valve. Has anyone ever tried using a bigger copper coupler/nipple, ball valve, and bard adapters?

The reason I suggest this is because I believe Lowe's has 3/4" SS washers readily available. A 3/4" washer MAY fit over a 1/2" ball valve assembly/brass coupler/nipple.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #38
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snevey View Post
Here is an interesting question/idea... Instead of a 3/8" ball valve, I noticed the hole in the cooler wall could accomodate a little larger ball valve, such as a 1/2" ball valve. Has anyone ever tried using a bigger copper coupler/nipple, ball valve, and bard adapters?
Yes, you can definitely use a larger diameter fitting. I have 1/2" fittings on my HLT now. The only difficulty for me was that with my 10 gal Rubbermaid (round) cooler, the original seal is too small for 1/2" nipples. I had to use a silicone 0-ring instead. It sealed fine, but it is definitely not as substantial a seal as the original rubber seal that came with the cooler.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #39
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm sure this has been listed before but I got 10 stainless washers from Fastenal for about $4.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #40
JimE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Yes, you can definitely use a larger diameter fitting. I have 1/2" fittings on my HLT now. The only difficulty for me was that with my 10 gal Rubbermaid (round) cooler, the original seal is too small for 1/2" nipples. I had to use a silicone 0-ring instead. It sealed fine, but it is definitely not as substantial a seal as the original rubber seal that came with the cooler.
What size o-ring and what size washers did you use with the 1/2" nipple in your Rubbermaid MLT?

Quick Reply