New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My first Partial Mash.... yay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Gunjji
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first Partial Mash.... yay

Well, I just did my first partial mash!

"Dubbel 'em Up"
SG: 1.048-1.052
FG: 1.010-1.012

After boil & cooldown I had to add a gal of water to make it 5gal. Took a hydro reading and it was 1.056.
I used a Rubbermaid cooler as a mash-tun but, Home dept didnt have all parts I needed to convert it so after 75min at 152, I poured it from cooler into a strainer to my brew kettle, then dumped grains back in cooler and poured more water in, stirred and repeated.

I was going to brew another extract kit I had instead but it takes American Ale yeast and I already had my Belgium yeast starter I made 2 nights ago on a stir plate . Also my first starter, Wyeast 3522.

I was worried OG was gonna be too low

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
LandofOZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

off to a great start but consider BIAB only using our gott cooler as your mash tun. Is what i do with no modification to the cooler. Just need a collander big enough to fit over the cooler to let the grains drain, dont want to try holding that for 10 minutes

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Gunjji
Recipes 

Thanks Oz... Just bought two 2'x3' bags and a big colander that will fit over cooler/brew kettle.. And another partial mash kit

Old 04-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
KokomoSam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

This is the method I am starting to use. I found the above article very helpful.

Quick Reply