The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My first mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
pingeyeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first mash

Well, I tried my first all grain recipe a few days ago and have to say, it was a bit intense. Based on the threads I had read on the net, nothing really prepared me. I never thought I would need two large pots for this (1 for brewing and 1 for sparging). I had to think quick once I realized my sparge pot was my brew pot as well. I wound up making my fermentation bucket as my sparge water container. Any advice on future all grains brews?

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Raspberry Ale
Kegged: American Wheat Ale

"Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

You can look into BIAB brewing, you can get another root for sparge water, or you can use a bucket to collect all your runnings and wort and then dump all that into your kettle when you are ready to boil although depending on your boil volume, 2 buckets

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

I have always collected my runnings in my fermentor bucket so I can use the volume markers to make sure I'm getting proper volumes. Haven't had any issues yet. I even have a second pot I could use now, but I prefer using the bucket still.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The twin kettle, BIAB method works well. Mash in one kettle then dip the grain bag several times in plain, mash out temp water held in the second kettle. This sort of acts like a sparge in a sense that you're mashing out and rinsing the grain at the same time. After rinsing, let the grain bag drip any residuals in the main kettle. Proceed as normal.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
billl
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are fly sparging, you need a place to keep the sparge water hot. If you are batch sparging, you can just drain the first runnings into a bucket, transfer the sparge water from your kettle to your tun, and transfer the first runnings to the kettle. One plus to that is that you can measure the volume of the first runnings and easily adjust your sparge volume to hit your targets.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
pingeyeg
Recipes 

What's better to do, fly sparge or regular sparge and why? I was fly sparging based on learning it would grab more sugars. Is this a true statement?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
If you are batch sparging, you can just drain the first runnings into a bucket, transfer the sparge water from your kettle to your tun, and transfer the first runnings to the kettle. One plus to that is that you can measure the volume of the first runnings and easily adjust your sparge volume to hit your targets.
I did this for many brews after I constructed my e-kettle. I used a turkey fryer to collect first-runnings sometimes, other times, just a bucket. In either case only the e-kettle was used for heating liquid, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
pingeyeg
Recipes 

Also, prior to all grain brewing, I would always put 3 gallons of water in my kettle along with all my extracts, which left room in the end for a quicker cold break and I could add 2 gallons or whatever was needed to get the 5 gallon mark with ice cold water, which helped aid in the cold break. I guess this sort of thing isn't possible with all grain brewing since by the time you are boiling, you've got all 6.5 gallons. Unless I'm totally screwing this up, please let me know.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingeyeg View Post
Also, prior to all grain brewing, I would always put 3 gallons of water in my kettle along with all my extracts, which left room in the end for a quicker cold break and I could add 2 gallons or whatever was needed to get the 5 gallon mark with ice cold water, which helped aid in the cold break. I guess this sort of thing isn't possible with all grain brewing since by the time you are boiling, you've got all 6.5 gallons. Unless I'm totally screwing this up, please let me know.
no you're right. You typically don't top-off with all-grain but that doesn't mean it's never done. Some people do partial boils and top-off. With all-grain you typically do an ice-bath (place kettle in sink full of ice water) to cool, or use a chiller (immersion, plate, or counterflow). The latter work faster and promote better cold break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingeyeg
What's better to do, fly sparge or regular sparge and why? I was fly sparging based on learning it would grab more sugars. Is this a true statement?
It's debatable, I batch sparge, it's easy, less time consuming and my system gets me 82% consistently.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply