Ron Burgandy Ale
Strong Scotch Ale
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.88 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.0 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.8 SRM) Grain 7.5 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.5 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.70%] (60 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.70%] (15 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.70%] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm YeastEx (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Chalk (CaCO3) (Mash 5.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Baking Soda (NaHCO3) (Mash 5.0 min) Misc
8.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
9.00 gal Distilled Water Water
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) [Starter 1893 ml] Yeast-Ale
Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.0 %
Bitterness: 34.4 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint
Est Color: 16.7 SRM Color: Color
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.25 lb
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 171.7 F 156.0 F 90 min
1st Sparge Add 8.00 qt of water at 203.2 F 170.0 F 10 min
2nd Sparge Add 8.00 qt of water at 170.0 F 170.0 F 10 min
I used 9 gallons of distilled water and added the listed ions to reach an Edinbburgh-esque Style of water.
Total water used was actually 8 Gallons but I started with 9 just incase I might have needed more.
Grain temp was 81 before mash-in. Strike water was 172.
Mash came to what I thought was 154 but after 45 minutes I rechecked temps and the bottom of the tun was 143 and the top was 153 so I guess it averaged out to 148ish.
I added about 1 gallon of 165 water and brought the temp up to about 151. (I have already decided what I am going to do to make temperature monitoring more precise)
Mashed for 45 more minutes just to be safe.
Conversion was complete per an iodine test so I vorlaufed and sparged. Both with 8 quarts @ 180.
Sparge went decent. A little slow but from what I hear that isnt a bad thing.
Brought everything to a boil threw in the first hops.
Added YeastEx and Irsih Moss along with the second hop addition.
Lost track of time and went over by 3 minutes. No biggie. Threw in the immersion chiller and last hop addition and whirpooled.
Flame out and chiller start. Took about 20 minutes to be down to 82.
Racked to primary and pitched yeast.
Took a gravity reading and it was 1.067 after correction giving me about 66% efficiency. (wasnt my crush, next batch will be my own crush)
After losses and boil off (think I need to adjust my burner) I was left with about 4.6 gallons. Tastes okay.
It is now sitting in my basement at a nice 64F.
Overall I am content. Could have done better but ou cant win em all. Icould have done worse.