Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My first all grain brew.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
revrand65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first all grain brew.

Well i did my first all grain brew last friday and everything went great took about 4 hours from start to finish . i enjoyed the whole ritual...i made a brown ale..i'm getting ready to rack to secondary in a few minutes..i decided to buy one of those sparge arms from phils mashing and those things are great!!i even managed to put 12 lbs of grain into a 5 gal round cooler..a little close but all went well.i need to make a 3 level set up though..useing the washing machine a chair and several phone books kind of sucks...i'm gonna use some old metal milk crates and stack them for the next time..which will probably be this weekend..iv'e got 6 kegs and they are getting really low...i know this is off subject but damn is this weather gonna straighten up .my 3 nugget hops rhizomes came in a week ago and they sat in the fridge for 3 days so i decided to put them in pots till the ground thaws out ohio weather sucks it was 70 here in dayton a couple weeks ago and it was snowing a few days back..so much for the idea of global warming...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really get a kick out of the global warming debate. When it's 75f in NYC in January, everyone's all "you SEE!?". But when it snows in Virginia in April, they say "so much for global warming!". Hehehe.

Sorry, anyway...congrats on going AG. I've got 5 batches under my belt so far. Tons of PM's, but only 5 AG's. It's fun to know that it all came from grains!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, that's the problem with the general public. They're so black and white about things. Of course, scientists will explain that the effects of global warming don't manifest only in a general temperature rise, but starts screwing with typical seasonal weather patterns because of changes in the jet stream, etc. I don't claim to understand it all, but I'm aware that you can't jump to conclusions. Sorry, way off topic. Long live all grain brewing !

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrand65
Well i did my first all grain brew last friday and everything went great took about 4 hours from start to finish . i enjoyed the whole ritual...i made a brown ale..i'm getting ready to rack to secondary in a few minutes..i decided to buy one of those sparge arms from phils mashing and those things are great!!i even managed to put 12 lbs of grain into a 5 gal round cooler..a little close but all went well.i need to make a 3 level set up though..useing the washing machine a chair and several phone books kind of sucks...i'm gonna use some old metal milk crates and stack them for the next time..which will probably be this weekend..iv'e got 6 kegs and they are getting really low...i know this is off subject but damn is this weather gonna straighten up .my 3 nugget hops rhizomes came in a week ago and they sat in the fridge for 3 days so i decided to put them in pots till the ground thaws out ohio weather sucks it was 70 here in dayton a couple weeks ago and it was snowing a few days back..so much for the idea of global warming...
Fitting 12 lbs in a 5 gal cooler is a little tight, glad it all worked out for you.
But you have nothing to complain about as far as weather. We got 2ft of snow over the weekend after having 80F temps last Tuesday. The rain today will probably melt the last of the snow but it will be at least another week before the ground is dry enough to plant.
Craig

Quick Reply