HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My first All Grain Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Hmm,

So it seems I guess that my next step should be to construct a Mash/Lauter Tun. I looked at the link you sent and the videos and it looks easy enough. I will let you guys know once I get it constructed. I usually work like 65 to 70 hours a week so it might take a while. Thanks for the help.

Stick with batch sparging to start with. Go to Sam's or somewhere and get yourself a 5 gallon round cooler for about $18.00. Take a look at the link below to my first AG and you can see how easy making a mash tun is.

Don't hesitate. Don't be intimidated. Think of it like this:

Get your grains and crush.
Soak em in some hot water for about an hour to get the sugars out.
Drain the liquid off and add some more hot water to get some more sugar out.
Do it one more time until you get about 6+ gallons of sugar water.
Boil the mixture for an hour or so while adding some hops along the way.
Cool, pour into a fermenter, shake it up and throw in some yeast.
Wait 1 week and etc...etc...etc...

This is how the process was described to me verbally and once I grapsed the ease of the concept I was off to the races.

Along the way you'll be able to started paying attention to the details...strike temp...soak time...volume of water...all of which is in Charlies book.

But the essentials are pretty straight forward.

Go for it...

Even a terrible day of brewing is still a better day than most.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply