Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My first AG brew day, and my new MLT...with pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
IanIanBoBian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default My first AG brew day, and my new MLT...with pics!

Well it wasn't today, actually 2 weeks ago, but I just got around to posting the pictures. First, here's my 10 gallon rubbermaid MLT.

Didn't feel like using a ball valve for whatever reason, so I used one of these valves instead.

Here's an exploded view of all the parts I used for the bulkhead. Over the one hour mash, it didn't drip a drop. I also used an o-ring (not in the picture) on the nipple to try to keep the wort out of the space between the two cooler walls.

The manifold I made. Thought I'd do something a little different with the shape, to try to get it as close to round as possible. Turns out I'm not very good at soldering copper pipe. I made it so that it comes apart in two places for cleaning.

And here's my first AG brew day, and first brew with my free turkey fryer. I made BierMuncher's centennial blonde. This will also be my first batch kegged.

Everything went very smooth, especially for my first all grain. I was right on with all my temps. The only problem was that I used too much sparge water, and had a couple gallons left in the MLT after I got my 6 gallons of wort. I used that and my leftover hops and did a mini batch on the stove. How would this have affected my efficiency? I don't have my numbers here in front of me, so I can't say what my OG was. Really glad I went all grain though, I enjoyed it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
BigNastyBrew
Recipes 

Looking good!

What have you done for the beer world, lately?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Peligro28
Recipes 

My solder job didn't come out well either. The good thing about solder is you can heat it back up, wipe it off and then apply again. LESS IS MORE when soldering.

Quick Reply