Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My First AG Brew Day! (With Mucho Pic's since We all love that)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
jonbrout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My First AG Brew Day! (With Mucho Pic's since We all love that)

It was a lovely 70 degrees outside with a nice breeze Friday afternoon in the middle of BFE Tennessee--a perfect day for my first AG! I brewed:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-...ale-ale-31793/
since i was told it was easy and widely liked.

(on a side note: I can only post 4 images for some reason...I had 11 to share)

Ingredients & ph stabilizer:
0417091301.jpg

I planned to mash in at 153* with my newly built cooler mash tun! Thus, i preheated water to 180* let it sit for 5 minutes to warm the cooler and let it cool to 170* before i doughed in my grains @ a 1.25 qt/lbs ratio. Looks like I hit it dead on.

While I waited on my 60 minute mash to complete I figured a nice glass of Yooper's Dead Guy Extract clone would go well with the weather. (I know the glass is ****ty but that was all I had at home. lol )

Time to drain the mash tun! I did the double sparge, No mash out method seen here: All Grain
I hit 1.044 OG @ 6.5 gallons preboil doing this with the Brewmasterswarehouse crush.
Not too shabby for my first try!
[IMG][/IMG]

Boiling time! 60 minutes. Grilled some steaks up during this time and continued to help myself to homebrews...
[IMG][/IMG]

Post boil chilled with IC to 68 degrees and pitched rehydrated notty. Post boil gravity was 1.050! That's almost dead on!
This morning it was bubbling away. How exciting.
0418091131.jpg

It went pretty well overall. Minus the auto siphon's hose coming out of the carboy during transfer and getting wort all over my pants...ha. I hope everyone likes the pics.

(Soooo, with a pre boil OG of 1.044 and a post boil OG of 1.050 what would my efficiency be?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

You can only post four pics in each post. Create another post in this thread and put those other pics up! Nice first brew day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, plug your numbers in here for efficiency.

What's tappening? :D

Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Ewalk02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks very nice, I just kegged a modified batch of that same recipe and I'll be tasting it tonight (even though it won't be fully carbed up).

Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great job!

It's fun isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to throw a wild stab at your eff %, if you were aiming for 1.051 and got 1.050, you're probably in the range of 73-74% eff, very well done for your first AG, in fact excellent, my first two were 58 and 62% respectively, it wasn't until my third that I got 75%

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
cytokine
Recipes 

Congratulations on what looks like a successful brew day!

Are you boiling with a propane burner on a wood deck ?

I have this same brew in primary waiting to crash cool and keg. Looking forward to trying it as well.

Cheers

Always on Draft: Total Eclipse Dry Stout, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, Bell's 2-Hearted Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein

Rotating Through: SWMBO Slayer, Alternate Dry Stout, Cream Ale

Bottle Conditioning: Sparkling Mead, Ginger-Peach Mead

On Deck: Something good

Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytokine View Post
Congratulations on what looks like a successful brew day!

Are you boiling with a propane burner on a wood deck ?

I have this same brew in primary waiting to crash cool and keg. Looking forward to trying it as well.

Cheers
Whats wrong w/ boiling with a propane burner on a wood deck? I do it, no problems here...it'd be pretty difficult to cause any damage, except for sticky wort spillage.
Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illin8 View Post
Whats wrong w/ boiling with a propane burner on a wood deck? I do it, no problems here...it'd be pretty difficult to cause any damage, except for sticky wort spillage.
I do it too. I think many people think the same thing can happen when frying something with oil. Boiling wort is not flamable. If your BK gets knocked over you are going to have one helluva sticky mess, not a fire.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
I do it too. I think many people think the same thing can happen when frying something with oil. Boiling wort is not flamable. If your BK gets knocked over you are going to have one helluva sticky mess, not a fire.
The literature that comes with the Banjo Burners says not to use it on a wood deck. I know companies often state such things to avoid even the slightest chance of a lawsuit.

My neighbor uses a propane burner on a wood deck with a big 'ol piece of tile under the burner. I thought that was a great idea. Maybe pick something up from a fireplace shop (for those that are concerned about it).

P.S. I brewed this same beer (10 gallons) on Sunday with the help of Denny Conn and Tom Fries (thanks guys!). It was fun and I can't wait to go for it again! I'll post the pics when I can find the time in the next week or two.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I figured your efficiency was 73.3% into your BK and 63.8% into the fermenter.

As far as using the burner on the deck, I would just set the burner on some cinder blocks as a heat shield.

Congrats on your first AG

Quick Reply