Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My first AG brew - advice is needed!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
bredstein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default My first AG brew - advice is needed!

I will be brewing my first AG beer (nut brown) next weekend, and I need some advice with the volumes. I have a recipy which calls for 11.75 lbs of grain (total). Mash volume is 14.69 qt. I doubt that my 5 gal cooler is big enough for it. Upgrading to a 10 gal cooler is not an option for now. I know that some people (including Papazian) are talking about 1 qt to 1 lb ratio, and this recipy requires more water. So what if I reduce these 14.69 qt to 3 or even 2.5 gal? What will it change? Also, based on your experience, what is the maximum grain weight a 5 gal cooler can take?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4279 Times on 3118 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredstein View Post
I will be brewing my first AG beer (nut brown) next weekend, and I need some advice with the volumes. I have a recipy which calls for 11.75 lbs of grain (total). Mash volume is 14.69 qt. I doubt that my 5 gal cooler is big enough for it. Upgrading to a 10 gal cooler is not an option for now. I know that some people (including Papazian) are talking about 1 qt to 1 lb ratio, and this recipy requires more water. So what if I reduce these 14.69 qt to 3 or even 2.5 gal? What will it change? Also, based on your experience, what is the maximum grain weight a 5 gal cooler can take?
I got 11 pounds of grain in my 5 gallon round igloo cooler, with a mash ratio of 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. That would take up about 4.75 gallons of space, so stirring is tricky when it gets full!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredstein
Just fill it up until you run out of space then sparge with whatever's left. If you batch sparge, you might have to do 3 runoffs, which isn't a big deal. Cheers!!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
bredstein
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I got 11 pounds of grain in my 5 gallon round igloo cooler, with a mash ratio of 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. That would take up about 4.75 gallons of space, so stirring is tricky when it gets full!
Yes, 14.69/11.75 is exactly a 1.25 ratio. Now I wonder what is better - keep the grain volume and reduce water, or keep the 1.25 ratio? Overall, what is the difference between 0.75, 1, 1.25 and 1.5 (2?) ratios?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredstein
Yes, 14.69/11.75 is exactly a 1.25 ratio. Now I wonder what is better - keep the grain volume and reduce water, or keep the 1.25 ratio? Overall, what is the difference between 0.75, 1, 1.25 and 1.5 (2?) ratios?
Batch or fly sparge?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
bredstein
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Just fill it up until you run out of space then sparge with whatever's left. If you batch sparge, you might have to do 3 runoffs, which isn't a big deal. Cheers!!
You mean I can split the sparge water into several volumes? The recipy says it has to be 4.21 gal. I would rather go with an easier batch sparge, but I couldn't figure out how to fit all this water in my 5 gal cooler, so I started thinking about making a sparge arm...

Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredstein View Post
You mean I can split the sparge water into several volumes? The recipy says it has to be 4.21 gal. I would rather go with an easier batch sparge, but I couldn't figure out how to fit all this water in my 5 gal cooler, so I started thinking about making a sparge arm...
When using the batch sparge method, water:grist ratio isn't really important. Yes, you can absolutely split your sparge volumes without ill effect. I'd recommend...

1. Fill your MLT with strike water about 5F higher than it needs to be to preheat your tun. Also, leave a little water behind just so you're not too full.

2. Once strike temp is reached, dough in, stir well, complete your mash process.

3. After mash is complete, completely drain your MLT then complete your first "sparge." If you can't fit all the sparge water in the MLT, after you start your second runoff, gently ladle whatever didn't fit onto the grains while you're collecting your second runnings. Voila!

And don't fret about it, you will certainly make beer! Be sure to pitch a healthy starter and watch those ferment temps... that's where the magic's at.

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 10-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I have a 5 gallon Rubbermaid MT as well as a larger MT. 14 lbs is about the max for a 5 gallon MT. You'll be fine with only 11.75 lbs of grain. After doughing in I would level off the water to about 1" from the top.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
bredstein
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you guys for ideas! Cannot wait till the end of the week :-)

Old 10-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
brewswellwithothers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've always found these to be helpful. Scroll down to the "Can I mash it?" area to answer your questions about how much fits in a 5 Gallon.
Green Bay Rackers Mash Calculators

Quick Reply