Did my first AG brew today and overall it went pretty well.
I brewed a Octoberfest/Marzen using a 14 lb. grain bill and my AG brew set up.
Success - hit my mash temp right on.
Failure - overreached on my sparge volume.
I used Brewsmith for the first time and I think I need to tweek it for my equipmentt a little further. I overreached my boil volume through the sparge by 2 gallons. So, I took the excess running's and used them to make 6 quarts of starter wort.
Here are pictures from my day:
My water filter set up from here.
Filling the HLT
My mash tun
My grains ready for the mash
Doing the Vourlauf
My running's after first sparge
My running's from second (batch) sparge
I will post more pics about my beer and my grain bill later.
Thanks for all the great information I have gotten from all of you here on this great board.
__________________ Schöne Blondine Brauerei Closed-System Pressurized Fermentation - the future of homebrewing today...!!!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication Leonardo da Vinci "A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford
Me too, BIAB Belgian wit.
Hit all my temps, but my boil off rate was a little faster than I expected and I ended up short about 3/4 of a gallon. OG was 1.048 with a 5G target of 1.044.
When I first used my rig I boiled off huge volumes with a 10" 250,000 btu banjo burner. After a few uses I realized a boil is a boil and turned the flame down a bit. Volumes have been much more consistant.