Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My failed attempt at temp. control, wah, waaahhh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
uuurang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default My failed attempt at temp. control, wah, waaahhh

This is my second try at Chimone's blonde bombshell recipe Link. The recipe calls for wlp001 but my incarnation I'm using wy2112 san fran lager yeast. Why I thought I could pull this off in the midst of 80 degree ambient temp in basement is beyond me (Doh!).
Here's it is.... 3rd day and still turning like crazy.

My question, will this be drinkable? The first I did was in April so ambient temps were closer to 65. It turned out excellent. Also, I used water bath but never thought out how I'd keep temp down. Dumb.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You might get some slight fusel alcohol or diacetyl.

Have you tried freezing 16 oz water bottles and put maybe 4-6 of them in the bucket ? (and swap them out every 12 hours)

Or, you could get skinny 32 oz ones - whatever fits between the bucket and the carboy.

Fermenter: Blonde Ale
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: -0-

Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer3401
You might get some slight fusel alcohol or diacetyl.

Have you tried freezing 16 oz water bottles and put maybe 4-6 of them in the bucket ? (and swap them out every 12 hours)

Or, you could get skinny 32 oz ones - whatever fits between the bucket and the carboy.
Nice idea! I've been using ice to cool my fermentors. This will simplify my process to just switching bottles instead of filling new ice cube trays each time. Man, do I love simple solutions. =D
In the Works:

Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekster
Nice idea! I've been using ice to cool my fermentors. This will simplify my process to just switching bottles instead of filling new ice cube trays each time. Man, do I love simple solutions. =D
Sometimes the simple way is the better way.

Also, by using bottles of water, you wont have to bail out your bucket due to new ice melting and increasing the volume.

(I also do this when I boil shrimp. Instead of adding ice, which dilutes my seaoning (coonass/creole kickass seasoning), the ice bottles cool the water and I achieve my goal without diluting the seasonings.

Fermenter: Blonde Ale
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: -0-

Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes I tried using frozen 1 liter H2O bottles..., but I only had 2 on hand to use. Those melted in about an hour resulting in a 2 degree drop.
It's been 2 days now so it's a lost cause for now. Maybe I'll learn something for next time.

What's a good cheap DIY for fermentation control besides a chest cooler with temp control ( just not the right time now). I remember someone mention "son of a fermentation thinga majing". Maybe it's in DIY section.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Probably won't be as good as your last batch, but should be drinkable... maybe. I made a Belgian Wit that hit 78F for about 8 hours during its fermentation before I cooled it down. Wits are supposed to be ok to get up to around 75. This beer packed a tart punch, mainly to the nose, but it was drinkable. I definitely regret not keeping it cooler, but it's all gone now, I drank it.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuurang
Yes I tried using frozen 1 liter H2O bottles..., but I only had 2 on hand to use. Those melted in about an hour resulting in a 2 degree drop.
It's been 2 days now so it's a lost cause for now. Maybe I'll learn something for next time.

What's a good cheap DIY for fermentation control besides a chest cooler with temp control ( just not the right time now). I remember someone mention "son of a fermentation thinga majing". Maybe it's in DIY section.
Here's a link to the original "Son of Fermentation Chiller" article.

http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

I built one and it works great. I used the basic design, but put the foam inside a wooden box.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Before I got my freezer, I used the blue ice packs and swapped them out every day.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been doing something similar for my alt that is fermenting right now as well and I just filled quart freezer bags with water and have been swapping them out. Low profile and most people have them around.

Matt

Old 08-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow! Fantastic stuff guys! thanks!

Next time I'll plan ahead a little better.

hey, clayof2day, we still gotta get together and talk beer shop some time. I'm going to Madison beer fest this weekend. Will you be there?

Quick Reply