Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My ESB, false bottoms & dry yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
hoplobster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My ESB, false bottoms & dry yeast

I had my first brewday in a while yesterday and I learned two things.

The first thing is, I dislike false bottoms very much. I batch sparge using a 5 gallon round cooler and thought I'd try a false bottom to maybe improve my extraction rates (I've only been able to hit about 60% or so) so after I started the mash I noticed that I wasn't getting any runoff in my tubing like I would when using a SS braid. I dumped the mash into my brew kettle to investigate and all of my tubing was still attached and the false bottom wasn't clogged, so I just swapped it out with my braid and dumped the mash back into the cooler and it immediatly gave me a bit of run off like I expected. I don't quite know what happened, but I've got a false bottom that fits a 5 gallon cooler if anyone wants it :P. Oddly enough, I had my best measurement of efficiency @ 65% and I thought I had a disaster on my hand. I guess I'll just refine my procedures and stick with the SS.

The second thing I learned is, I love dry yeast! I pitched a packet of Safale S-04 right into the wort after cooling and I had activity in the airlock less than an hour after pitching. About 12 hours later, it was going crazy and by this morning, less than 24 hours after pitching, things calmed down and I'm getting a bubble or two every 30 seconds. I will definatly be using dry yeast from now on unless the style calls for a liquid yeast.

I'm gearing up for my next batch, which will be an Oktoberfest style ale, if you can imagine such a thing.

Primary: EMPTY
Keg #1: - Hefeweizen
Keg #2: - Mild Ale
Keg #3: - CO2

On Deck: Black IPA - Imperial Stout - IPA or Double IPA - Mocktoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
TwoHeartedBrewer
Recipes 

Would you care to share the recipe for your O'fest style ale? I am planning on making something of that nature within the next week or two. I'm doing PM not AG, but your recipe could give me some ideas. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
hoplobster
Recipes 

I actually haven't developled my recipe, but I was thinking something along the lines of:

50% Vienna
30% Munich
15% Maris Otter
5% Cara-Pils

And probably 20-25 IBUs of noble hops, probably just Hersbrucker @ 60 minutes and 15 minutes or so and either US-05 or S-04 for the yeast.

Primary: EMPTY
Keg #1: - Hefeweizen
Keg #2: - Mild Ale
Keg #3: - CO2

On Deck: Black IPA - Imperial Stout - IPA or Double IPA - Mocktoberfest

Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplobster
I had my first brewday in a while yesterday and I learned two things.

The first thing is, I dislike false bottoms very much. I batch sparge using a 5 gallon round cooler and thought I'd try a false bottom to maybe improve my extraction rates (I've only been able to hit about 60% or so) so after I started the mash I noticed that I wasn't getting any runoff in my tubing like I would when using a SS braid. I dumped the mash into my brew kettle to investigate and all of my tubing was still attached and the false bottom wasn't clogged, so I just swapped it out with my braid and dumped the mash back into the cooler and it immediatly gave me a bit of run off like I expected. I don't quite know what happened, but I've got a false bottom that fits a 5 gallon cooler if anyone wants it :P. Oddly enough, I had my best measurement of efficiency @ 65% and I thought I had a disaster on my hand. I guess I'll just refine my procedures and stick with the SS.
Before giving up on the false bottom, you might want to read http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=30803&

-a.

Quick Reply