The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Was my efficiency really that high!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
brewinmt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Was my efficiency really that high!

Today was my first attempt all grain. I made a German pilsner. My grain bill was
7lbs German pilsner
1lb Vienna
8oz white wheat
1oz tettnang 60min
1oz tettnang 30min
1oz tettnang 10min
White labs wlp029 German ale/kolsch
Mashed at 160deg for 60min
Fly sparged at 170deg

I set up brewsmith at 72% efficiency. The preboil gravity was 1.044 at 6.5 gallons. Boiled 60min and ended up perfectly at 5 gallons. Cooled to 70 degrees and had a final gravity of 1.055!
So I messed around with the efficiency on brewsmith and came up with about 84%! Can this be right?
Overall it was a lot of fun and not near as hard as I thought it was going to be. Wish I would have started AG a long time ago.
Thanks for any input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
brewinmt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A few pics of my setup, crush, and mash!
image-3543943155.jpg

image-648168531.jpg

image-1653870550.jpg

Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Sounds reasonable to me. Nice set up.

Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 74 Posts

Absolutely that is possible and pretty awesome. With this being the first time using your set up, as time goes you will learn your set up and the average efficiency you can expect from it. From there you can adjust your recipe so you don't blow past your OG.

I added some new pieces of equipment to my set up and brewed a Nut Brown through it about 6 months ago. I calculated 92% efficiency. I thought it was a mistake but BeerSmith and several online calculators all said the same thing. I have never hit that number again but I am consistently in the low to mid 80's

Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
brewinmt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies I think I will bump up my efficiency in brewsmith to maybe 78% and try another brew with those numbers and see where I come out.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewinmt View Post
A few pics of my setup, crush, and mash!
wonder if you could please post some close up pics and a quick write-up re: your sparge machine there

I'm looking to try something similar

thanks in advance!

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
brewinmt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made it out of 1/2" copper pipe, it is 24" long by 9" wide. I made it to fit right on the top lip of my cooler mash tun.
You can probably see in the pics but I soldered the sides together taking care to make it as straight as possible so the water wouldn't just run to one side,and I can just pull it apart easily to clean it. I think the holes I drilled are 1/8" which worked pretty good. I wasn't sure how well this thing was going to work but I am extremely happy with it, the water dripped out all of the holes and was super easy to adjust the amount just by opening or closing the ball valve on the HLT. I hope this helps and let me know if I can answer any more questions.

image-1919796610.jpg

image-4004559009.jpg

image-1741679516.jpg

Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewinmt View Post
I made it out of 1/2" copper pipe, it is 24" long by 9" wide. I made it to fit right on the top lip of my cooler mash tun.
You can probably see in the pics but I soldered the sides together taking care to make it as straight as possible so the water wouldn't just run to one side,and I can just pull it apart easily to clean it. I think the holes I drilled are 1/8" which worked pretty good. I wasn't sure how well this thing was going to work but I am extremely happy with it, the water dripped out all of the holes and was super easy to adjust the amount just by opening or closing the ball valve on the HLT. I hope this helps and let me know if I can answer any more questions.
awesome, thanks!

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, except in CPVC, which is what my manifold is made of.

just 2 more questions and I'll stop bothering you:

1 - are you using a copper manifold too, or a bazooka tube?

2 - is that the coleman 70 quart?

again, thanks

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
chanson16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE="
So I messed around with the efficiency on brewsmith and came up with about 84%! [/QUOTE]

Did you crush the grains yourself? I have a few all grain batches under my belt and was getting poor efficiency (around 65%). I always had the online home brew store crush the grains for me but read on here that better milling would help. I invested in a mill and my next batch jumped to 90%. I am now a believer!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
brewinmt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did crush the grains myself. I have the barley crusher mill and I think it is set from the factory at .39 thousands of an inch.

I am using a copper manifold in the mash tun, I will attach some pics of it too. It's about 5" wide and 18" long. I made it so it fits tight against the cooler wall and the bulk head so there is no chance of knocking it off when stirring the mash.

The cooler is a 36qt Coleman xtreme.

image-2090936675.jpg

image-1130528203.jpg

image-4239425997.jpg

Quick Reply