Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My DFH 120 clone Experience!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Bombeque
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oh and btw, there has been almost 600 people look at this thread and only 2 comment? Im not gettin that...do I smell? I promise Ill shower today...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
tmags711
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is kind of a newbie question, but applies to the forum (I believe anyway). While we're waiting for the results, let me ask you this: How do you calculate your ABV to account for multiple dextrose additions? Clearly a simple OG/FG reading is useless.

Short answer please. I won't be worrying about that for several, several more brews. Just curious.....

That beer tasted like another....

Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I can tell you the way I did it, a bit less scientific than others but on the same track. Because I didnt know the exact amount of beer I had (5.75-6 gallons), I took a gravity reading just before the first 12 oz addition. It was 1.030. After adding the sugar and mixing it thoroughly, it read 1.036. I did research to make sure I was on track with others and sure enough it adds about 7 gravity points per 12 oz addition for a 5 gallon batch. So considering I had a bit more than that, 6 is about dead on. After that it was easy. For every 12 oz addition it would add 6 points. So I tacked 6 points onto my original gravity of 1.098. After all the additions it is up to 1.172 and FG is around 1.022 right now. Which gives me the 19.48%. Im hoping for around 1.018 fg, thatll kick it the extra half percent. Hope that wasnt too confusing...

Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

20% ABV Exactly!!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Nukesquad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Couple of questions....(1) I was curious on how it was coming along since you achieve the perfect 20%, (2) how frequent were your sugar additions, and (3) in regards to the addition of O2 with each sugar addition, how do you balance giving the yeast enough o2 to continue fermenting the new additions vs. adding O2 with detrimental flavor effects?

I've always been curious to take this on, but with the $$ in grains, hops, and sugar, I wouldn't want to screw it up and end up with alcoholic piece of cardboard.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I o2ed my clone for the first 3 days then stopped after that

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Tim glad to hear it's coming along! This is a tough beer to brew but it's worth it the end to me. Let me know when you get it bottled up as I would love to get a sample.

shat happens

Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukesquad View Post
Couple of questions....(1) I was curious on how it was coming along since you achieve the perfect 20%, (2) how frequent were your sugar additions, and (3) in regards to the addition of O2 with each sugar addition, how do you balance giving the yeast enough o2 to continue fermenting the new additions vs. adding O2 with detrimental flavor effects?

I've always been curious to take this on, but with the $$ in grains, hops, and sugar, I wouldn't want to screw it up and end up with alcoholic piece of cardboard.
1) It finished out at 20.26% and FG of 1.016. A bit on the dry side but better than the opposite I suppose.
2) I added anywhere from 6-12 oz of sugar in the morning and evening, about 12 hours apart, and it was eating ALL of the sugar, up until the very end.
3)I stopped the o2 additions on or about day four or five. co2 will eat up all the oxygen, therefore it is still safe to add the o2 as long as there is a heafty fermentation still taking place.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Bombeque
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyRyan View Post
Hey Tim glad to hear it's coming along! This is a tough beer to brew but it's worth it the end to me. Let me know when you get it bottled up as I would love to get a sample.
Thanks man. When did yours become drinkable?? This is like rocket fuel right now!! I transfered it over to the secondary this past Sunday, right at the 2 week mark. Ill let it sit there for 2 weeks and then begin the dry hop schedule. Let me know what you or anyone else reccomends for that. As of now Ill be adding the 1 ounce of simcoe, amerillo, and warroir for 3 weeks

Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombeque View Post
Thanks man. When did yours become drinkable?? This is like rocket fuel right now!! I transfered it over to the secondary this past Sunday, right at the 2 week mark. Ill let it sit there for 2 weeks and then begin the dry hop schedule. Let me know what you or anyone else reccomends for that. As of now Ill be adding the 1 ounce of simcoe, amerillo, and warroir for 3 weeks
For my first 16% batch it was drinkable after about 2-3 months. For the 20% second batch it honestly didn’t last in my house for more than 6 months but I would say that it was like you said rocket fuel until the end of the keg and then it was just drinkable to me but everyone else enjoyed it from the day it was carbonated. I would age this one 6-12 months at minimum and over a year would be best.

shat happens

Quick Reply