Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My Brewhouse Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Forget the term brewhouse efficiency. Both How to Brew and Designing Great Beers mention nothing about this. Instead they both use the term "extract efficiency" to mean the amount of good stuff you extract from the grain bed, stated as a percentage of the max it would be possible to extract. It is not the first runnings or the sparge, it is the total amount in the kettle after all that has been completed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski
Forget the term brewhouse efficiency. Both How to Brew and Designing Great Beers mention nothing about this. Instead they both use the term "extract efficiency" to mean the amount of good stuff you extract from the grain bed, stated as a percentage of the max it would be possible to extract. It is not the first runnings or the sparge, it is the total amount in the kettle after all that has been completed.
That's exactly what I said.. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Anything that factors in a higher or lower volume than planned has nothing to do with efficiency. It has to do with effectiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you noticed after your post the OP said "ok so preboil volume equals brewhouse efficiency". That's not correct. I was trying to help him understand. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with your "washing the balls" analogy. But anyway, points for style.

Quick Reply