Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My beer foamed up through the airlock!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
ewienclawski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My beer foamed up through the airlock!!!!

After 2 days of fermenting, my beer foamed up through the airlock. I was at work and when I got home, there was hardened foam (krausen?) in the airlock. I took off the plug, and some foam shot my in the face! After cleaning out the airlock I attached a blow-off tube, because as soon as the airlock was cleared, it started foaming up through again! Is this vigorous fermentation a good thing? This has never happened before!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
itsbeeryo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Its not a good thing, it's a great thing! Good thing you caught it in time, search for the explosion pics.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Happens all the time.

This is my Barleywine which I did 5 minutes of 02 Since the og was 1.150 (I also gave it another blast of oxygen @ under 10 hours after yeast pitch, which is recommended by Chris Whyte of Whitelabs for high grav beer.)

Needless to say I had a VERY active fermentation. I blew the lid and it rocked and rolled for nearly a week.

Healthy fermentation is the bomb......literally.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
ewienclawski
Recipes 

Woo Hoo! Thanks guys, I'm excited!!!!!

Quick Reply