My attempt at true hopbursting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used lots of hops before but never did a true, hopbursted beer.
I have lots of hops in house but like these together but am open to suggestions.
I not only like hoppy tasting beer but I really enjoy the aroma when I lift the glass to my mouth.
Opinions please.

Boceebus Hopititus
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 13.500
Total Hops (oz): 11.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.29 %
Colour (SRM): 6.7 (EBC): 13.2
Bitterness (IBU): 89.7 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
10.500 lb American 2-Row (77.78%)
1.000 lb Crystal 20 (7.41%)
1.000 lb Munich I (7.41%)
1.000 lb Vienna (7.41%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 153°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with WLP001 - California Ale

Looks very nice. Should be quite hoppy.

My only change would be that I don't really care for cascade as a dry hop. It gets grassy real quick. But that's just a personal preference of mine which many people disagree with.

If you switch up the hop schedule you can use less hops and get the same or more aroma. If you try not using teha roma hops for the last 15 minutes of the boil you will see increased aroma. Do you have something like Warrior or Magnum you can bitter with at 60 minutes? If so, you could do 1.5 ounces of either at and then do the rest of your schedule from 10 minutes or less. Maybe 10 minutes for Simcoe, 5 for cascade, then a bit of both at flameout in whirlpool. Then dry hop like you mentioned.

The less time spent boiling the better for aroma, so the 30 minute additions won't give you much. I prefer everything 15 or less, with 10 being my usual. Since you won't taste or smell much of the bittering addition, I use the cheapest, strongest alpha hop I have.

theveganbrewer said:
The less time spent boiling the better for aroma, so the 30 minute additions won't give you much. I prefer everything 15 or less, with 10 being my usual. Since you won't taste or smell much of the bittering addition, I use the cheapest, strongest alpha hop I have.

From what I've read, you are right that the aroma comes out of the 15-0min time frame. The benefit of hopping at 30-15 is in the taste. I've been told that the hopburst method is to avoid using hops before 30 min in an attempt to keep the bitterness low and the flavor and aroma high. Is that true? I haven't done it yet but I plan to on my next IPA.

Looking forward to hearing about the results.

You are correct, what I have described is a hybrid hopping method which replaces the inefficiency and expense of hop bursting. What you end up with is same flavor and better aroma with less hops.

The bitterness you are talking about I think is not less butter, but smoother. But that issue is up for debate, some thinks the bitterness from 30-15 is smoother, some don't. The research I have read is that it is not different.

Important that you let hops steep after boil too. Obviously most would prefer methods tried by the masses, but if youve got the ability I'd give it a try. Maybe do two, 1 hop burst and 1 hybrid?

I have a couple of hopbursted ales that I just love. One is sort of a copy of Jamil's Evil Twin, as I had to sub some of the malt and some of the hops so it's not the same recipe. But I started hopping at 20 minutes, and I love that so much that I do it often.

I've done they hybrid hopbursting and did either a FWH or a 60 minute hop addition. I could save on hops and do the 60 minute but I want to try what I've read is the 'real' hopbursting technique which supposedly has nothing before 30 minutes. I want to see what the difference is. I know it's a few dollars more but as a brewer I think I should give this a shot.

Thanks for all the info.

I've done they hybrid hopbursting and did either a FWH or a 60 minute hop addition. I could save on hops and do the 60 minute but I want to try what I've read is the 'real' hopbursting technique which supposedly has nothing before 30 minutes. I want to see what the difference is. I know it's a few dollars more but as a brewer I think I should give this a shot.

Thanks for all the info.

In my opinion, it's really great! It loses all that 'harsh' bitterness, but has a ton of hops flavor. I haven't added hops at 30 minutes (only 20-0) and I've been very pleased with the results.

I might be in the minority but I only hop burst...any type. 20 minutes or less for me always. Gives me time to get stuff done and I want flavor and aroma. Even with my BoPils...I added all the nobles in the last 20 minutes. With such a low IBU, your not adding much or overpowering the malts. I just don't see any reason to add hops at 60 other than cost, which I don't mind.

I have a couple of hopbursted ales that I just love. One is sort of a copy of Jamil's Evil Twin, as I had to sub some of the malt and some of the hops so it's not the same recipe. But I started hopping at 20 minutes, and I love that so much that I do it often.
This.

I like hopbursting with Centennial, Simcoe, and Amarillo in varying combinations. If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Centennial.

Why boil for 60mins if you are only adding the hops the last 30? The boil length should be determined by your longest hop boil time

Boil time is determined by a LOT of factors beyond hop utilization. We boil for the following reasons (and maybe some others that I'm forgetting):

Sanitation - freshly mashed wort is FULL of bacteria

Volume/Gravity Adjustment - it is very difficult to nail every number every time - I adjust the boil time on many brews (real time, after the sparge) in order to achieve the proper OG for a given volume (via boil off)

Volatile Compound Evaporation - DMS and its precursors are the chief players here, and it takes time to minimize their presence in wort

Protein Coagulation - the "hot break," helps to clarify the final product and reduces off flavors (usually not a problem, as it occurs relatively early in the boil)

Flavor Development - Maillard reactions occur during the boil, deepening the malty flavor of a beer - some styles benefit from a 90 minute or longer boil for this reason

Hop Utilization - clearly not the focus of this thread, but also not the sole reason for boil time adjustment

Important that you let hops steep after boil too. Obviously most would prefer methods tried by the masses, but if youve got the ability I'd give it a try. Maybe do two, 1 hop burst and 1 hybrid?

Let me pick your brain for a moment. :)

How long do you let the hops steep and at what temperature?

What do you think of adding flavor/aroma hops before the end of the boil vs. hopstand-style after flameout?

Back