Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My APA tastes like a Belgian Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
mychalg9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default My APA tastes like a Belgian Pale Ale

I was drinking a Green Flash Rayon Vert yesterday and realized that the "off" flavors I've been getting in my pale ale tasted almost exactly like this belgian pale ale style. Any ideas what would cause my APA recipe to taste like that? If I recall, the recipe was a SMASH with 2 row and cascade hops, not sure if I used Notty yeast or US-05 for it but if I had to guess it was probably Notty. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
mewellsar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm no expert, but I was asking the same thing a few weeks ago. I think my fermentation happened too hot/too fast.

Slowed my next batch down with the swamp cooler technique. Not finished yet, but I measured and sampled before dry hop and things seem better.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Bet you used us05. I've had this happen to me twice with us05 at low temps - almost a Belgian phenolic yeast character that I could not place. I'm conducting "experiments" with us05 and hoping to get better results at higher temps with it, especially because when us05 is on its great. I'm just having issues getting it to be consistent in my brew house.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
mychalg9
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
Bet you used us05. I've had this happen to me twice with us05 at low temps - almost a Belgian phenolic yeast character that I could not place. I'm conducting "experiments" with us05 and hoping to get better results at higher temps with it, especially because when us05 is on its great. I'm just having issues getting it to be consistent in my brew house.
Interesting. I am using US05 in an IPA right now and fermenting it in the low 60's. I guess I should try to raise it up a bit

Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
HawksBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1032 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I had the same problem happen to me... turns out I didn't clean the keg well enough between my Saison and my APA. Lesson learned.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Gregscsu
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

When fermented at 60F or less US-05 can give a distinct fruitiness, almost citrusy. I have found that when I ferment APAs with US-05 that low, all the malt is masked by the hops and citrus of the yeast. I now ferment my APAs around 64F-66F

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Rayon vert is a bretannomyces beer. If your beers taste like that, you have brett in your fermentors. Time for a bleach bomb of everything you own. This is not a flavor created by US-05. Rayon Vert is one of the funkiest beer's I've ever had (love it, BTW)- it's got a classic brett character.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
mychalg9
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Its not the Brett taste that I am referring to though, as far as I can tell

Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanco View Post
I tend to agree. I fermented a simple blonde (9lbs 2-row, 0.5lb. aromatic, all centennial) with us-05, repitch, and it was in the low 60's the entire time...came off with banana aroma and a somewhat fruity flavor. I thought I pitched too high (under 80 but probably around 75)...reading this I wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It's hard to say what the deal is, and as for the Brett issue, this flavor only comes from using us05. The batches before and after in the same bucket didnt have this issue... So no boogey men in my fermenters.

Anyhow, I'm having a real issue with us05 lately, so much so that if the next few batches I use with it don't turn out the way I want, I'm done with it. I may go to using either Nottingham dry for all American and British Ales or S04 or WlP007 as a house yeast. I know a lot of people love us05 and I was one of them, but it needs more scrutiny that's for sure.

Quick Reply