*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > My amber ale tastes horrible...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
beerjunky828
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right on. You live and learn. Maybe cut the Special Roasted Barley in half next time.

I made an PM Imperial Stout and used a lb of Roasted Barley. It took it about 3 mos. in the bottle to mellow and at least not dominate the stout. But that stout was 8.5% abv and needed time to mellow. I would give it time and the dynamics of the beer may completely change and the recipe may hold true as being a good one.

To beer!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #12
HodgsonsBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My only thought is cut the amber, biscuit, and crystal way down. You have 6lbs of 2 row and 3 plus lbs of darker way too flavorful stuff with it. Some may like that flavor I don't. try 7.5lbs 2row, .5 lbs amber, .25lb biscuit, well keep the crystal. LOL drink it anyway! Good luck

Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

I think it's the recipe. I can't believe ANYBODY would use two pounds of amber malt in a five gallon batch, except maybe for a dark roasted beer. The other specialty grains are fine.

Edit- I took a peek at that thread. They keep referring to the amber malt as "home toasted". I wonder if they meant to toast some malt, instead of using actual amber malt. Here's one example: "I think the key to the flavor lies in the amber malt (Belgian Pale home toasted at 350F for 25 mins)." and "Ok, well that's confusing me I guess. How is Belgian Pale (2-row) and Amber the same? Not to mention the 3 SRM Pale,vs the 22 SRM Amber. I put Belgian pale in the recipe (to give it a semblance, if you will) of an otherwise non Belgian beer because so many people actually think it is a Belgian beer. If you toast it as I mentioned then you will have Amber, albiet done with Dingeman's Belgian Pale 2-row. Hope that clears it up for you."

Old 04-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I think it's the recipe. I can't believe ANYBODY would use two pounds of amber malt in a five gallon batch, except maybe for a dark roasted beer. The other specialty grains are fine.

Edit- I took a peek at that thread. They keep referring to the amber malt as "home toasted". I wonder if they meant to toast some malt, instead of using actual amber malt. Here's one example: "I think the key to the flavor lies in the amber malt (Belgian Pale home toasted at 350F for 25 mins)." and "Ok, well that's confusing me I guess. How is Belgian Pale (2-row) and Amber the same? Not to mention the 3 SRM Pale,vs the 22 SRM Amber. I put Belgian pale in the recipe (to give it a semblance, if you will) of an otherwise non Belgian beer because so many people actually think it is a Belgian beer. If you toast it as I mentioned then you will have Amber, albiet done with Dingeman's Belgian Pale 2-row. Hope that clears it up for you."
Well this one goes down as a learning experience for me. I read somewhere that it originally took over 6 months of conditioning for the first porters to become drinkeable. So maybe this one will be better in several months, and if not, oh well....

Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
Well this one goes down as a learning experience for me. I read somewhere that it originally took over 6 months of conditioning for the first porters to become drinkeable. So maybe this one will be better in several months, and if not, oh well....
Yes, it WILL mellow quite a bit with some age. Maybe next time, try posting a recipe here in a thread, and we can take a look. Sometimes something "weird" like that will show up right away for some of us.

I have some experience with amber malt, and home toasted malt is NOT a substitute! Home toasted malt is wonderful in many recipes, though, and I can see how they could have used 2 pounds of it in that beer.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Amber and biscuit (and victory) are all basically the same thing anyway, just made from english, belgian, and US grain respectively.

Special Roast is a darker version of the same thing. Basically somewhere between amber and brown malt.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
wrestler63
Recipes 

Quote:
I'm surprised you used 2 pounds of amber malt. A little goes a LONG way. In my DFH clone (OG of 1.070 or so), I use 6 ounces and I can taste it. I bet that's where the strong flavor is coming from. Are you certain that the original recipe had two pounds of amber malt? That's really a lot.
+1 on the Amber......thats a considerable amount. 4-6 oz. is plenty.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

All roasty flavors mellow. I used 8 oz of peat smoked in a barleywine, it took a year to mellow, but it did.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You've got a lot of flavors going on in that recipe. More malt = more time to condition. It hasn't even been a month yet...patience.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

Thats what I gathered and did when I made mine. Put 2 pounds of 2 row on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 15-20 minutes (depending on how much you open the oven to check on it).

Quick Reply