Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Munich Malt style

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Yeah, basically... he's screwed. it's just a question I guess of if he expects the judges to be more sensitive to yeast, malts, or hops. The good news is that he'll have something to drown his misery with when the score sheet comes back.
looking at the guidelines...even a maibock it's not strong enough and to light..plus low on hops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think catagory 23 is your best bet, and I would call it a "Pale Munich Dunkel" (oxymoronic - I know). At least you won't get dinged for lack of originality.

I am not a fan of ale yeast in a lager style, but the US-05 fermented very cool could supress a lot of the esters associated with an ale. Your gravity is really close to the high end of the style, and your munich malt backbone is essential in a dunkel. You simply left out the small % required of dark malt. You fall in line with a noble hop, and IBU's also look good (low end of the style, but good).

I think the late hops would also be uncharacteristic of a Munich Dunkel, but lets face it, throwing it in as a well described entry in Catagory 23 is your best shot.

As I have come to understand it, the first rule of success for catagory 23 is a tasty beer. The second rule is a great description. In other words, the judges need to know what your beer will taste like before they taste it. The narrower the gap between their taste buds and their expectations, the more successful you should be. So, do you think your beer tastes like a "pale munich dunkel"?

Good Luck,
Joe

Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
beatlescrazyman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post
I think catagory 23 is your best bet, and I would call it a "Pale Munich Dunkel" (oxymoronic - I know). At least you won't get dinged for lack of originality.

I am not a fan of ale yeast in a lager style, but the US-05 fermented very cool could supress a lot of the esters associated with an ale. Your gravity is really close to the high end of the style, and your munich malt backbone is essential in a dunkel. You simply left out the small % required of dark malt. You fall in line with a noble hop, and IBU's also look good (low end of the style, but good).

I think the late hops would also be uncharacteristic of a Munich Dunkel, but lets face it, throwing it in as a well described entry in Catagory 23 is your best shot.

As I have come to understand it, the first rule of success for catagory 23 is a tasty beer. The second rule is a great description. In other words, the judges need to know what your beer will taste like before they taste it. The narrower the gap between their taste buds and their expectations, the more successful you should be. So, do you think your beer tastes like a "pale munich dunkel"?

Good Luck,
Joe
The beer does taste like a Dunkel. Although it also tastes a lot like a Helles. the truth is that although I used Ale yeast, it was such a clean fermentation (at a relatively low temperature, too), that it really does taste like a dark lager. So much so that I think any expert would be hard-pressed to negate the fact.

Again, this beer was just a whim that turned out to be the tastiest beer I've ever made and really want to find a good category to submit it in. In my mind it's a toss-up between the altbier, dunkel or helles.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
doomedplanet
Recipes 

Cool to find this thread. I'm thinking of doing essentially the same thing only I have a Brown in the fermenter already using the Wyeast 1882-PC*Thames Valley II. Hope it turns out tasty.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Competitions are great, but I would rather have my friends and fellow brewers be happy with what I made.

I made a awesome batch of ribs once, they fell between a Memphis and a St Louis style. They would never win any competition, but what did do was get eaten up to the very last one.

That's a blue ribbon in my books.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
Competitions are great, but I would rather have my friends and fellow brewers be happy with what I made.

I made a awesome batch of ribs once, they fell between a Memphis and a St Louis style. They would never win any competition, but what did do was get eaten up to the very last one.

That's a blue ribbon in my books.
those are the BEST awards! they are also the ones I brew for myself. Sure a competition win is nice and can be used to validate your recipe and brewing skill, but truthfully its when your friends and family drink it the last drop and tell you that it was the best they ever had, that's the real winner.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I say 23 - Malty Blonde

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

I just stumbled across this thread looking for something to make with my newly acquired bag of Munich Malt; I have never used munich malt. I also have a pound of Saaz hops that I haven't used yet. A smash of this like the OP did would be interesting.

But lets say if it turns out good; and I would want to put this into a competition.
What tweaks would I need to make to have it fit in a catagory?
I do have the ability to lager and I have pilsner, MO, and 2-row malt available if necessary but I want the bulk of the grain bill to be Munich.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
beatlescrazyman
Recipes 

Returning to this thread....

I've made this beer a couple more times and it is still in my mind one of the best beers I've ever had (worth noting I love bavarian brews). As for the competition, I decided it wasn't worth submitting because it doesn't fit into any category.

HOWEVER, I entered the Brooklyn Wort competition in which they choose the participants based on an initial beer submission, regardless of style guidelines, and naturally I submitted this beer. Apparently I'm not the only one who likes this beer because out of 125 submissions, I was chosen and went on to come in 2nd in people's choice with a unique belgian tripel.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, if you've brewed it several times and you & your friends like it then it doesn't matter if it fits a style - except for competitions! Style guidelines are just that - if it were brewing law, a bunch of light beer drinking lawyers would have us all in beer prison!

Cheers....

Quick Reply