Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Munich Light discription please???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Munich Light discription please???

I''ve ordered the ingredients for my next 2 brews, one of which is a Rye Blonde. Planned grain bill is
6# 2-row
3# Rye malt
2# Light Munich
.5# Crystal 20
.25# Flaked Wheat

I've never used munich before. I understand it can be used as a base-malt, but some websites have it listed as a color malt. Also I see alot of recipes with 1# or so of munich. Is there a chance 2# munich is too much? What is the real flavor profile and strength of Munich malt? As I understand it's a slightly more toasted base malt, bringing in drier maltier character too the party.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Two pounds of munich isn't excessive in my opinion, but it's all about the percent of your grain bill. Munich is one of my favorite malts (just the smell of the malt is pretty awesome). It mainly contributes strong malty flavors. Munich comes in two varieties usually: light and dark. Light is usually around 10°L while dark is 20°L. The lighter variety has more diastatic power and less roasted character than dark. It also contributes less amber color.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

in beersmith it looks like that grain bill gets an srm of about 8. Changing to 1 lb munic gets an srm of about 7. I guess it depends on how blonde you like ur blondes. Munich has a nice flavor that i find very hard to describe. but its nice.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

The Amber Lager I brewed Saturday had 3 lbs of Munich and a pound of Vienna. The wort has a very nice, roast malt smell to it. It should be a nice change from the series of lighter brews I have done lately.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

These beers are both 100% Munich malt.

I brewed the one on the left with AHS-supplied Munich and a single decoction to 1.049 OG.
AnOldUR's on the right is 1.056 with 1.5# of the Munich home-toasted and a double decoction.

Munich is my favorite base malt. It makes beers that taste like the smell you get when you open a fresh bag of DME... if that makes any sense.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks a lot guys for the replies. Seems in line with my understanding but I was a bit put off by the munich being listed as something other than a basemalt on some sites. Since I hadn't used it before figured I'd use the wealth of info here! Good job.

Nice Naval Acadamy pint glass 944play!

Forgot to mention I'm bittering with glacier, and am adding 1/2 oz. Summit @ 20 & 2 mins. Should be a nice quaffer as the summer months are here.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Nice Naval Acadamy pint glass 944play!
It's actually AnOldUR's photo (and glass), but thanks?

Quick Reply