Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Munich Helles Water Treatment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
philbert119
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Munich Helles Water Treatment

I just checked the water profile report of my city (Roeland Park, KS) in anticipation of brewing a Munich Helles. Here are the specifics:
• Alkalinity: 60 ppm
• Calcium: 73 ppm
• Magnesium: 60 ppm
• Sodium: 52 ppm
• Chloride: 55 ppm
• Sulfate: 124ppm
• BiCarbonate (HCO3): ??????
• pH: 9.6

According to John Palmer's Mash Residual Alkalinity Worksheet, the water has a residual alkalinity of -27, and I need to get it closer to -74 to achieve the SRM characteristic of the style.
My question is whether gypsum is the best additive to achieve this result given my water's profile.
Also, the chloride to sulfate ratio of my water is rated as very bitter by the worksheet. Does this mean I should use less hops than the recipe calls for or that I should neutralize the bitterness with another sort of additive?
Thank you much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Go to the Brew Science forum and look at the Brewing Water Chemistry Primer sticky thread. Everything you have questions on will be covered and covered well by ajdelange.

Good luck.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPooley4 View Post
Go to the Brew Science forum and look at the Brewing Water Chemistry Primer sticky thread. Everything you have questions on will be covered and covered well by ajdelange.

Good luck.

cp
+1

Specifically you have much more sulfate than Munich and that will be problematic.

Helles would be brewed with fairly low ion water (decarbonated munich water for example) with biological acidification (sauergut or sauermalt) to set the pH.

Quick Reply