Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Multiple mashes for a single batch - has this been done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
BeehiveBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Multiple mashes for a single batch - has this been done?

I was reading the 5 gal v. 10 gal mash tun threads and got to wondering.

Could there be any benefit to mashing different grains in separate mash tuns? For example, the bulk of your base malt in one tun, at one temperature, and the rest of your grain in another tun at a different temperature and then combining the two worts for the boil?

Looking at body v. fermentability, would it be of any benefit to do the above?

Planning:oh I don't know, another pale or an ESB
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Water into Barleywine,
Keg 1: Local HBS Brown
Keg 2: Ed Wort's Haus Pale
Keg 3: Mann's Amber
Keg 4: Bee Cave Robust Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

I dont think that there would be any benefit... but you would certainly complicate your brew day

Instead of mashing different grains at different temps... balance the body/fermentability by adusting temp. I mean, you can mash anywhere between 145F and 158F to vary the fermentability and body of any beer.

Instead of mashing at 150F, try 153 for slightly more body/less fermentable wort. Instead of mashing at 158F, try 154F or 155F for a slightly dryer/more fermentable wort.

Last edited by The Pol; 02-11-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
KUbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've only got a 5g cooler to mash in so I usually split my grain in half and do 2 mashes so I make sure I have enough room. I never thought about mashing at different temps though, interesting idea.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

People do mash at different temps in the same mash, using step infusion or decoction.
Not sure how that would apply to separate mashes in two tuns.

You could also brew two different beers simultaneously. Which might either complicate your brew day, or reduce the time you need to brew, depending on your perspective.

Quick Reply