Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Multiple batches into one fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Daneskop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Multiple batches into one fermenter

I am thinking that I would like to barrel age some beer in a bourbon barrel, and I have at least two questions. What are the procedures for sanitizing one of these things? I also have two twenty gallon fermenters, and I was wondering if it is bad at all to put multiple batches of beer in each one, and what effect does it have if I were to say to brew ten gallons and wait until the next day then repeat to fill the fermenter?
Thanks
Dane

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
beerandloathinginaustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I've seen some things here and there about prepping barrels, but you're better off searching that out than listening to what I randomly might remember.

As for the blending of multiple batches, I'm getting the impression that's a pretty common practice in the commercial world. I think you'd probably be fine. Although you might want to pitch more yeast when the second 10 gals goes in.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 54

get the barrel as fresh as you can. (from the distillery or winery)
hopefully they put a bung back in it so it would not dry out.
No problem with multiple brews, our club has done several with as many as 15 participants at 4.5-5 gallons each.
no need to add additional yeast into the barrel.
some microbreweries have to brew multiple times to get their fermenters full.
If the barrel is fresh, you do not want to sanitize it as you want the barrel to impart the flavors from the previous contents.

Quick Reply