Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Multi-Rest Mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 56

1. It's not 6' off the ground so I can see what I'm doing
Agreed

2. My pump is mounted right next to the kettle so I would need less plumbing
Agreed

3. I can boil the water in the kettle to use for the heat exchange (which would be quicker than using the HLT with sparge water at 180)
Ideally, you don't want to heat any portion of your mash much above 170 - you'll lose some enzymatic action and/or potentially have some tannin extraction as the very hot recirculated portion mixes with the rest of the mash.

4. I can use the boiled water to pump through the CFWC to sterilize it before the boiled wort tranfer to the fermenter.
Sure, that works, but you'd have to sanitize (not sterilize) the CFC long before the end of the boil that way, which doesn't make much sense. I always boil a little extra water in my HLT for that purpose (and for cleaning) while my finishing hops are steeping.

I guess my question at this point is, how do you get the remaining wort out of the plumbing and back into the mash once the mash is complete?
Run some of your sparge water through the plumbing.

In the end, I recommend using the HLT for your heat exchanger.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
Craig5_12
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply Yuri. (BTW I just read the huge build page for you conical fermenter and you did a great job, I may have to tackle a project like that sometime)

In regards to boiling the water for the heat transfer I was hoping I could use less tubing and have a hotter and quicker circulation, thus improving the ability to step-mash. I would have to be sure that the temperature coming out of the plumbing was not more than 160 or so though. Possible?

In regards to the "sanitizing" (thanks for the correction) the CFWC it would work better for me due to my pump placement. (which is sort of a design flaw at this point) Although I've found a way around this if I don't use that water.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Thanks for the compliments!

In my experience, the mash water exiting from the heat exchanger is almost exactly the temperature of the water surrounding it. If you superheat that portion of the mash, you'll start de-activating some enzymes. Certainly, it will result in achieving faster step temperatures, but it will be at the cost of efficiency. I don't recommend it, and neither did a book I've read (Brew Chemistry??? sorry...can't remember the title, and my copy is about 6,000 miles away right now).

Fair enough on the CFC thing, I was just offering up my ideas.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the project - post some pics when you finish!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
Craig5_12
Recipes 

I think I'll build the tubing piece for the recirculation and run a few tests with water and go from there. If I can hit the rest temperatures without exceeding 160 at anypoint I'll go for it. If that doesn't work, it's back to the drawing board, but at least I'll be one step closer to a HERMS. Thanks for all the help and I'll definitely start a gallery soon!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
Brewpilot
Recipes 

I always do multiple infusions, I created a spreadsheet that will automatically calculate the temps and water quantities involved. I have actually squeezed a rest at 122, 153 and the mashout at 168 into a 5 gallon beverage cooler... oh yes. Building a larger system all around this spring....

Brewpilot

Old 01-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #16
Craig5_12
Recipes 

Brewpilot, have you ever thought about getting Promash? It does all of this (and lots more) for you. I'm sure you spent a lot of time and effort on the spreadsheet but I purchased Promash when I went AG and it's helped a ton. It's fun and pretty easy to use too.
You planning on building a HERMS system?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
Brewpilot
Recipes 

No, I am sticking with the infusions for now... no HERMS. I have heard and seen PROMASH, never really explored purchasing it. Yeah, I spent days on this spreadsheet, calculates my efficiency and the final ABV based on my efficiency and the type of yeast used. I have also used Beer Recipator.com, I guess I like to build things and so I built it. I think that pretty soon I will be getting some software though, I may be brewing upward of 120 gallons a month and it would be nice to automate things more!!!

Brewpilot

Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #18
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpilot
I may be brewing upward of 120 gallons a month and it would be nice to automate things more!!!
Brewpilot
I wouldn't go shouting about it unless you're only brewing one month a year.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Brewpilot
Recipes 

Well, it would be for a business... so.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png