New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Moving to All Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Henry22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Moving to All Grain

I know this type of thread is probably posted a lot but I have read a bunch and I'm still confused on the best way for me personally to move into AG brewing. I have done two extract kits and both seem fine. One is bottled and carbing and the other is still in primary. I want to move to AG because it's cheaper, provides more flexibility and is the next step.

I bought a cheap turkey frier so I'm already somewhat there but the kettle is 7.5 gals and I don't want to buy another kettle. I probably will in the near future but not now. I also have plenty of coolers for a Mash Lauter Tun that I can use, they are rectangular but that shouldn't matter. My first question is why would I change the drain spigot on the cooler like I have seen in numerous threads?

I have a stove where I can heat sparge water and can purchase nylon bags for grain if need be. Now that you know what my equipment is, what would be the easiest and cheapest way/method for me to move into AG brewing?

Thanks

Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can buy a ball valve and kettle screen for 35 bucks and tread it into your cooler and your ready to go. The whole build takes five minuets.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
AAIndigo
Recipes 

I have 3 extract brews under my belt and like you I have decided to go AG. I will be doing the Brew in a Bag method for my first AG http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/ and will start to assemble and learn as I go so I can continue to brew better beer.

I'm not so sure about AG being cheaper. I just purchased the ingredients for this left hand milk stout (along with bags) and it came to like 70.00?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/

Bulk may be the answer to cheaper beer

Archie

Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Henry22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It's Definitely cheaper if you buy in bulk but grain is cheaper than extract. Maybe not by much but it is.

What I don't understand about the MLT conversion is why? Apart from the strainer/filter why add the ball valve? The existing spigot does the same thing.

Would BIAB method be the easiest way for me to segway to AG? All I have is a 7.5 gallon kettle and various pots and pans, could I BIAB and then sparge in the MLT and combine? I'm just confused about the whole process.

Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'

Old 01-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Naggs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry22 View Post
What I don't understand about the MLT conversion is why? Apart from the strainer/filter why add the ball valve? The existing spigot does the same thing.
1. You are going to want to be able to control the rate of flow so you don't risk a stuck sparge and/or make a mess when opening.

2. I'm not putting my fingers in the way of 168ish degree water more than I have to.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
It's Definitely cheaper if you buy in bulk but grain is cheaper than extract. Maybe not by much but it is.

Would BIAB method be the easiest way for me to segway to AG? All I have is a 7.5 gallon kettle and various pots and pans, could I BIAB and then sparge in the MLT and combine? I'm just confused about the whole process.
You have to have a screen or mainfold on the drain. After mashing, you open the ball valve and the wort drains out through the grain. Without a screen, the grain would plug the drain up. So the easiest way (the only way) is to remove the current drain valve and either add a ball valve attached to a barb on the inside or shove a tube through the drain hole (after removing the drain spigot) add a screen/manifold on the inside and a shutoff on the outside.

And, like Naggs mantioned, that wort will be freaking hot!

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
BIAB would probably be a good way to go. You would probably be limited to 3 gallon batches with a kettle that size. There is a calculator somewhere to calculate how much space the grain would take up. You wouldn't necessarly do a "sparge". You can rinse the grains after mashing but you don't have to. Also, you would need a false bottom for your kettle to keep your bag from melting as you control the temperature.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Jdm5209 Likes This 
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 534 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Brew in a bag will work with your turkey fryer for average ales but it will be right to the top if you use the full volume of water plus the grains. You can do some things with this. You can use less water for your mash and then top up, you can modify the brew in a bag and use some water in another pot for sparging, if you can suspend the bag of grain over the turkey fryer you can just pour top off water through it to extract a little more wort and get the full volume for your boil. Any of these will work and I've tried them all. I like to suspend the bag of grain over a different pot and pour COLD water through it. This might not extract as much of the sweet wort as hot water but it sure makes it easier to squeeze more wort from the cooler bag of grains instead of that 160 degree grain bag.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I like to suspend the bag of grain over a different pot and pour COLD water through it. This might not extract as much of the sweet wort as hot water but it sure makes it easier to squeeze more wort from the cooler bag of grains instead of that 160 degree grain bag.
Hmmmm....I have never BIAB but, I've read you shouldn't "squeeze" the bag. Also, wouldn't want to use very hot water (168F+) to rinse?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads