Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Moving to All Grain!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
mcmillb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default Moving to All Grain!

I've made three partial mash batches of beer so far this year, and I want to move to all grain.

I've VERY analytical when it comes to multiple options, but I think I've decided on building my own cooler system for the mash, but was unsure about the hot liquor tank. Half of me wants to build everything I need right away, while the other half wants to just build out the mash tun and "cheat" on the hot liquor tank and just use an additional kettle for the sparging water and improvising that process (perhaps with a simple colander to distribute the water for my first batch?).

I'm also getting TONS of information from John Palmer's "How to Brew" - there's so much "little" detail to many things, but, I kind of just want to jump in and give it a shot, make notes, and see how it goes. The overall process doesn't seem overly difficult, however, the devil is in the details, right?

Anyway, any advice for a all grain noob?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Cowbizzoy
Recipes 

stop thinking about it and start doin' it!! If you've done a PM... all grain is really pretty similar imho.

Too much work keeping this current...

There is stuff in the pipeline...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i finalized my setup few weeks ago, got 10gal of beer in one batch last weekend, worked like a charm, building it took me a while but actual hands on time was several hours, finding cheap stuff on CL took much longer.
Brewing all grain is more fun and give you enormous flexibility, i did extract for years, real brewing is AG, now i see it that extract vs AG is like microwave meal vs real cooking with quality ingredients and spices

Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmillb1 View Post
Half of me wants to build everything I need right away, while the other half wants to just build out the mash tun and "cheat" on the hot liquor tank and just use an additional kettle for the sparging water and improvising that process (perhaps with a simple colander to distribute the water for my first batch?).
You're overthinking it. Batch sparge -- it's way faster, anyway. You don't need a dedicated HLT as long as you have something to put the sweet wort in while using your kettle to heat water. I used my bottling bucket in this photo:

Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
You're overthinking it. Batch sparge -- it's way faster, anyway. You don't need a dedicated HLT as long as you have something to put the sweet wort in while using your kettle to heat water. I used my bottling bucket in this photo:
+1

It's not "cheating" it's just another perfectly acceptable way of doing things.

My ghetto brew-rig, featuring the 15 dollar harbor freight folding workbench and milk crate.

Been doing it this way for 5 years.

I just mash out into a bucket to get my pre-boil volume, then transfer it to my kettle after I've collected all my runnings.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Nothing to it, but to do it.

10gallon_setup-.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Nothing to it, but to do it.

Attachment 33930
I have the same KAB4 burner, I cut off some of the metal stand so that the keggle sits closer to the flame. It uses a lot less fuel.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 for batch sparging and not using a HLT. Don't get me wrong, I love equipment but what I love even more is simplicity. I hate cleaning as it is and don't want more more thing to clean. I have a second smaller pot to hit the sparge water in and it is great because I can make sure it is at just the right temp when I am ready. I heat it up to about 5 degrees below my target, turn the heat way down to hold it there and then kick it up again right before I need it to hit my temp right on.

One thing I would recommend is getting the 10 gallon cooler. It is great to do large gravity brews or smaller 10 gallon batches in the future if you want. Oh, and preheat your tun to prevent cracking. I usually start with a pot of 130 degree water and then add another of 160 degree in a few minutes. I may be overdoing it but I don't want to shock the tun and crack it.

Once you go all grain you never go back.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
mcmillb1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

LOVE this board already! Just do it, baby!

I'm totally ready to take the plunge, thanks for the "push" out of the nest!

The only other quick thing I wonder is all the "extra" stuff I'm seeing about pH calculations, efficiency calculations, etc...

I know a ton of that stuff isn't necessary right out of the gate, just curious about what I should really really do, though, on the first go around, and then continue to improve in the future...

Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

invest in a brew software like BeerSmith. Well worth the $20.

Quick Reply