Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Moving to All Grain!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Countrysquire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Moving to All Grain!

I've done about a dozen partial mash batches and have had great success thanks to the members of this forum. Have been reading about all grain brewing and have decided to make the move.

So far, I've picked up 3 Sanke kegs from a guy off craigslist for $100 and will now work towards converting them to a HLT, MLT, & BK. My plan is to initially use gravity and the two propane burners that I have at my outdoor kitchen, but eventually build a stand & move to electric heating elements, HERMS, etc.

It looks like the retrofits to the Sankes for electric heat will be easy enough, but things are rarely as easy as I think they should be. Any advice on making this future proof? What would you've done differently?

Thanks, as always I appreciate the great advice which leads to great beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
DarkNoonBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Make sure the ring on the bottom of each keg isn't sealed and that they have holes in them to keep them from exploding with heat.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Countrysquire
Recipes 

Thanks. I did check and all three have drain holes.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
fujieagle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Congrats on the all grain adventure. The only suggestion I have would be to buy your thermometers all at once if buying them from EBAY. I didn't and now I'm having trouble finding one to match what I have already. Doesn't really matter as long as they work but I like all of my stuff to match. The other advice, take the time to really consider what you want when you get ready to build your stand.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Countrysquire
Recipes 

Thanks. I think that it will probably be best to do a few brews with what I have before I finalize a design for the stand.

Quick Reply