HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > The Most Frustrating Problem Ever...I want to shoot myself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
AndrewD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

Frankly, I don't buy any of the previous suggestions that there isn't enough yeast in suspension because of secondary, that you need to add extra yeast, etc. etc. However, I do find it takes longer to bottle condition; in fact, I've never had a batch carbonated any sooner than 4 weeks in the bottle. Just FYI.
The issue may not be that there is no yeast in the beer, but that the ABV of the beer has possibly shut down the ale yeast, necessitating champagne yeast to ferment the priming sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
shutupjojo

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There is plenty of yeast still there. Like broadbill said, at least 4 weeks. Stronger beers can take much longer.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
EternalStudent
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A healthy fermentation should only take up to 7 days max even for a high gravity beer. Anything longer than that and you are either under pitching, under oxygenating, produced nonfermentable wort, at too low of a temperature or a myriad of other problems. A nice clean, healthy fermentation will be complete in 3 days provided you give you yeast the optimum conditions.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
EternalStudent
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For the record, all I was referring to was fermentation time. Maturation may/will take much longer.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
zamlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it's not a temperature issue I will drink all your flat beer, and eat a bug.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Can it be a madagascar hissing cockroach?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
yooji
Recipes 

Thanks for all the responses!

I left out some details for brevity's sake but I've thought of a few of the solutions put forth and I don't think my case fits.

Primary-Secondary and Bottling temperature has been kept at a solid 20C or 68F. Out of direct sunlight. No fluctuation in temperature. So unlikely due to temperature.

The first batch was way back in April, and I still have bottles from each batch and I assure they are still quite flat...so not due to insufficient conditioning time.

I do cold crashing but only after about a week of bottle conditioning.

I mix in the dextrose solution into my bottling bucket before bottling, I use regular yeast and not aiming a high ABV beer. I am also positive that it's dextrose. I've heard regular sugar is a no no.

I want to buy a kegging system but my brewing partner insists on the bottle conditioning *siighh* ...that day will come eventually haha.

I've also left out some key info here: I'm more a 'art' than a 'science' sort of type so I pretty fluid with my brewing...I don't take gravity readings (so I don't know ABV) but I can sure as hell taste liquor and I know fermentation when I see it. Some of the batches had some minor variation/mistakes to it involving too much water or accidentally losing some wort...but nothing that should have affected the end product.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though! I think I'm going to go the 'adding some pitched yeast at bottling' route...I still have my suspicion of autolysis or infection so I'm gonna ditch the plastic bucket and go with a super clean glass carboy with no secondary racking. I'm travelling at the moment but when I get back in a couple of weeks, I'll brew a batch and we'll she how she goes!

Thanks for the help! and I'm still open to more suggestions!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
cconrocks
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooji View Post
Thanks for all the responses!

I left out some details for brevity's sake but I've thought of a few of the solutions put forth and I don't think my case fits.

Primary-Secondary and Bottling temperature has been kept at a solid 20C or 68F. Out of direct sunlight. No fluctuation in temperature. So unlikely due to temperature.

The first batch was way back in April, and I still have bottles from each batch and I assure they are still quite flat...so not due to insufficient conditioning time.

I do cold crashing but only after about a week of bottle conditioning.

I mix in the dextrose solution into my bottling bucket before bottling, I use regular yeast and not aiming a high ABV beer. I am also positive that it's dextrose. I've heard regular sugar is a no no.

I want to buy a kegging system but my brewing partner insists on the bottle conditioning *siighh* ...that day will come eventually haha.

I've also left out some key info here: I'm more a 'art' than a 'science' sort of type so I pretty fluid with my brewing...I don't take gravity readings (so I don't know ABV) but I can sure as hell taste liquor and I know fermentation when I see it. Some of the batches had some minor variation/mistakes to it involving too much water or accidentally losing some wort...but nothing that should have affected the end product.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though! I think I'm going to go the 'adding some pitched yeast at bottling' route...I still have my suspicion of autolysis or infection so I'm gonna ditch the plastic bucket and go with a super clean glass carboy with no secondary racking. I'm travelling at the moment but when I get back in a couple of weeks, I'll brew a batch and we'll she how she goes!

Thanks for the help! and I'm still open to more suggestions!
Do you cold crash your entire batch after only 1 week in the bottle?

If so try letting them sit for 3-4 weeks at room temp to carbonate.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
EternalStudent
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You have no idea what a cold crash is for do you?!?!?!? Just a hint, its not done after bottling

Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #20
EternalStudent
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

but beer is beer. Keep it up :P

Quick Reply