Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > The Most Frustrating Problem Ever...I want to shoot myself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
yooji
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The Most Frustrating Problem Ever...I want to shoot myself.

Carbonation.

This is third batch in and I am getting NO carbonation.

Yep, I know, pretty stupid. You'd think I'd learn after the first time, but let me explain.

Full grain brewing with a Gatorade cooler mash-tun, 23 L batches with a plastic carboy and glass secondary. I do all the standard procedures, mash-in, lauter, mash-out, boil wort etc...and at the end of it all I have a nice sweet product and add my pitched wyeast at room temperature. Wait for a full two weeks after bottling annnnnnddd ....No carbonation.

Round 2
So I thought, perhaps a sanitation issue ( I had reasons to suspect)...so I diversol'd the **** out of my equipment for 24 hours. Tried again, annoyingly, no success.

Round 3
I thought, perhaps a bottling issue. I use glass bottles with press on caps. I put some baking soda and vinegar into a bottle and put it under water for a minute or two to test the seal. No leak. I tried different bottles, swing tops. Also flat.

Here's the kicker though, the beer was quite alcoholic. Yet no carbonation.
I primary fermented in a plastic bucket for about 6 days, secondary for about a week or two...Also during bottling used more than an adequate amount of dextrose dissolved in boiled water.

Maybe all the fermentation somehow went though during the primary? A stubborn infection maybe? Autolysis? I don't know...but if this next batch doesn't come through I might quit my hobby of many years....I've done tons of batches and never have had a problem before with carbonation. My beer has all of a sudden just been failing hard and I don't know what to do!

Help! Please!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
EternalStudent
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You need to make sure you are getting yeast into the bottling bucket as well as stirring the sugar solution into the beer before you bottle it. Depending on your secondary methods you have the potential to be making really bright beer. Really bright beer has very little to no yeast in suspension, which will not lead to a carbonated product. To produce CO2 in the bottle you need yeast and either residual sugar left over, or additional sugar added for them to convert to CO2. If you are making an insanely high alcohol beer and trying to have a very low concentration of yeast re-start fermentation in such a hostile environment you are asking for a lot!

There is no need for a secondary (i know, I know hold your opinions ), not on a homebrew level, especially if you are going to bottle condition without adding fresh yeast (top cropping time ) from a high krausen.

IMO, don't give up... if all else fails... buy a kegerator and force carb the **** out of it!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Maybe add an appropriate quantity of champagne yeast at bottling if the beer is high ABV as you say. Or by a kegging system.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
EternalStudent
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on champagne.

I've used distillers yeast too

Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

How long since you bottled? What temperature are you keeping the bottles at?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 671 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I had the same problem - none of my bulk-primed & bottled beers carbonated hardly at all. I gave up and just bought a kegging system. Now my beers are turning out fantastic.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
bigdaddybrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 108

For really bright beers after cold crashing I rehydrate one teaspoon of Muntons Gold yeast and add to my bottling bucket with my corn sugar. Carbs up fast and flocculates to a jelly like crust that stays put when you pour.

Primary: Pineapple Pale Ale
Kegged: Conceited Brown Cur, Summer Citra Cerveza
Bottled: Concord-Cherry Wine, Dark Winter Spiced Ale, Whitetail Amber Ale, Summer Gold Pale Ale, Irish Sunset
Future: Octoberfest

I made a lot of beer and I can't drink it all by myself...okay I can but I like to share too.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm going to guess that since we're almost to November your conditioning temps have dropped quite a bit. I find that my beers in usually carb in a week or two in July but now that my basement is in the low 60's it takes more like two or three weeks. Also if you've been cold crashing your beers lately that can cause a slower carbonation.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 91

What is the ABV of the bottled beer?

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

So you successfully carbonated in the past, but now you can't. What has changed? Are you sure you are using dextrose and not another white powder to carbonate? Try using table sugar instead, at least you know that is the right stuff and you aren't dealing with someone at the HBS putting the wrong label on what you think is dextrose.

Frankly, I don't buy any of the previous suggestions that there isn't enough yeast in suspension because of secondary, that you need to add extra yeast, etc. etc. However, I do find it takes longer to bottle condition; in fact, I've never had a batch carbonated any sooner than 4 weeks in the bottle. Just FYI.

Quick Reply