Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > morebeer.com all grain kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
nchomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default morebeer.com all grain kits

anyone buy all grain kits from morebeer.com?
they show free shipping. sweet. and i'm all the way over here in north carolina. i'm just starting to get into all grain, and want to keep my costs down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just compare the pricing for the kit against Austin Home Brew. Most likely the shipping is built into the price.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Morebeer has free shipping if the order is $60.00 or more. Their kits are fine but I would be worried about shipping liquid yeast in the summer from one coast to the other.

Gary

Old 06-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I've gotten a couple of them, though i never order the liquid yeast. I've either used the dry yeast or get liquid from my lhbs. Blender is right, shipping is only free if the order is %60 or more, so you have to order other stuff as well.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't forget to check out Midwest and Northern brewer as well, all these company's have fine kits. Better yet start building your own or get a good book Like Jamils.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
etcetrah
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've ordered twice from MoreBeer and been pleased, thought I've never ordered an all-grain kit. I usually order a couple of batches worth of ingredients at the time to get my $60 worth.

I'm in NC as well and oddly enough, I've done the math and the trip to my nearest LHBS option and back costs me more in gas than the flat rate shipping from Austin Homebrew Supply, and certainly more than FREE!

Happy Brewing!

Always looking towards the next batch!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
daholl01
Recipes 

I have used MoreBeer, and I am from NY and just had liquid yeast sent. Love the free shipping and the yeast survived the trip. I cannot comment on any of their own recipe kits as I have just ordered the ingredients I needed. Their prices are very good (esp. on hops) compared to the only other online supplier I used which was AHB.

One thing I would advise is that I have never had good efficiency (65-68%) with their crush. So you may want to factor this in with some additional dry LME or just some extra 2-row.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

One thing i'll add about the morebeer kits is the instructions kinda suck. If you don't have beersmith, promash, etc. you're basically sh!t outa luck. i dug up the "instructions" that came with one of the all grain kits I bought from them awhile back and it was a hop schedule and then basically "plug this malt bill into promash and figure it out..." which is fine if you have one of those programs, but if you don't you'll probably have a difficult time hitting temps, etc.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
highalt3000
Recipes 

I always thought the fun thing about limited instructions is you get to kind of make the beer from the kit a bit more your own. Quite a few all-grain brewing kits have minimal instructions.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
WhiskeySam
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've not ordered any kits from Morebeer, but I've ordered hundreds of dollars of equipment from them. Kettles, burners, valves, kegs, chillers, gallon-sized pyrex flasks for lager starters, and I've also ordered large quantites of hops I use frequently -- everything comes well packaged and their customer service is great. I ordered a Ranco controller from them with the stopper thermowell. When it arrived the Ranco temp probe didn't fit into the thermowell. I was pissed. Morebeer not only answers the phone, but they had a solution for the problem that worked. Turns out the wax on the end of the temp probe is sometimes too thick for the thermowell and if you just sand it down a little it fits fine.

Just one example of how they get it right.

In the Keg (1) -- Stout
In the Keg (2) -- IPA

Up Next -- Marzen

Quick Reply