Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > More on Overnight Mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
headfullahops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
Not unless you have a yummy coffee ale or a breakfast stout on tap..lol
That's not a bad idea. I'll have to work on that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #12
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I have now overnight mashed my last 10 batches and I have some notes to share for those who are intersted. I single infusion mash with single or double batch sparges:

1. Increased efficiency, I have averaged over %80 efficiency since I started overnight mashing

2. Increased fermentability, there is some debate on this, but my beers have been drying out more, so I do compensate by upping my mash temps 2-3 degrees. However for tripel and IPA, this is AWESOME.

3. No off flavors reported, dark beers and beers with more specialty malts appear to have more character from the longer soak

4. Time savings is just another benefit.

To sum things up, this is now my preferred method of mashing.

hey permo,

do you have any numbers on increased fermentability (i.e. difference in attenuation for known recipe(s))?

also, are you still doing this? any new thoughts?

thanks!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #13
permo
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
hey permo,

do you have any numbers on increased fermentability (i.e. difference in attenuation for known recipe(s))?

also, are you still doing this? any new thoughts?

thanks!
I still do overnight mash and I love it. However, I only overnight mash on big beers where I want attenuation and beers that need to be dry, like tripel. My best example is a big red ale I did recently with WLP007. OG was over 1.070, mashed at 152-153 and pitched a healthy dose yeast. Final gravity was in the 1.007 range........you get a nice fermentable wort using this route.

I have found that my kolsch beer works really , really well with this method too.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:

The key is to not let it drop below 130 but I personally keep it above 140 to be safe.
Are you achieving this through just the insulation in the cooler or are you adding to it? Do you use a blanket? An electric blanket?

I like the idea of doing this as I tend to have time to brew early in the morning or late at night so stringing the two together makes good sense.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
yes the temperature will drop, but the conversion all takes place in the first 90 minutes or so, and that is the temp that is important.
But the reason you are getting a more highly attenuative wort is because the temperature is dropping, regardless of the temp at which you started your mash. With more traditional mashing, many people mash-out to avoid this problem.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I guess this is OK if you are looking for a highly attenuative wort (IPAs, etc), but I question its utility on other styles of beer.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
I still do overnight mash and I love it. However, I only overnight mash on big beers where I want attenuation and beers that need to be dry, like tripel. My best example is a big red ale I did recently with WLP007. OG was over 1.070, mashed at 152-153 and pitched a healthy dose yeast. Final gravity was in the 1.007 range........you get a nice fermentable wort using this route.

I have found that my kolsch beer works really , really well with this method too.
Wow, thats 90% attenuation! I am considering doing my first overnight mash attempt this coming friday for a Russian Imperial stout. I want it a little on the drier side and will be using WLP002 so I doubt I could go *too* low to receive the desired effects as I have a decent amount of non fermentables in the recipes (jamil's from BCS).

Permo, do you have any recommendations for a first time overnight masher? I have a coleman xtreme and generally don't even lose a degree over an hour once I am preheated so I think i should be good there. I plan on just collecting the first runnings for this beer.

Quick Reply