*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > more mash tun questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
bagpiperjosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default more mash tun questions

1. Is using pex instead of copper piping for the manifold ok? i mean its already used for water and is rated for up to 200 deg F. and is WAY easier than soldering

2. Is a 10 gallon cooler like the cylindrical drink dispenser ones too big for 5 gallon batches?

3. what about when i want to do 1 gallon batches all grain? what do i use then as a mash tun because i'd imagine even a 5 gal may be too small?

Last edited by bagpiperjosh; 01-30-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: stupid home depot site

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 158

A lot of us use cpvc and it seems to be fine, I don't know much about pex.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperjosh
1. Is using pex instead of copper piping for the manifold ok? i mean its already used for water and is rated for up to 200 deg F. and is WAY easier than soldering

2. Is a 10 gallon cooler like the cylindrical drink dispenser ones too big for 5 gallon batches?

3. what about when i want to do 1 gallon batches all grain? what do i use then as a mash tun because i'd imagine even a 5 gal may be too small?
1. Yes you can. Since it's usually in coils, make it round. Also, you don't need to solder copper or glue cpvc.
2. No. you can cut out an insulated circle to help with the heat loss in the dead space if necessary.
3. I do 1 g using BIAB in a small 3g stockpot. I do a quick sparge in a smaller stockpot, and squeeze out as much as I can from the bag.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

i just dry fit my pickup tube, its copper - works fine. plus its easy to take apart

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 9

for a one gallon batch I would suggest either a mini mash tun or doing a BIAB ar a mash in a bag in a small pot w/ a paint strainer bag...put the mash in a warm oven to maintain temp.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
bagpiperjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
1. Yes you can. Since it's usually in coils, make it round. Also, you don't need to solder copper or glue cpvc.
2. No. you can cut out an insulated circle to help with the heat loss in the dead space if necessary.
3. I do 1 g using BIAB in a small 3g stockpot. I do a quick sparge in a smaller stockpot, and squeeze out as much as I can from the bag.

what do you make the insulated circle out of? i have not seen anything like that.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
sniperd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

1) I'd think so. My family handyman magazine is all about using pex vs copper for everything, I'm sure it's fine.

2) My buddy uses a 10 gallon cooler from Home Depot for his 5 gallon batches, works fine. Remember that means you want 6.5 gallons of water for your run off, plus you've got grain, and all that water that gets absorbed in. I think it's fine.

3) I have no idea. I went from 5->10->15. 1 gallon batches? Does not compute! What if you love it? My feeling has been I've yet to make a batch that nobody likes and my time is worth a lot to me. So now I brew 10 or 15 gallon batches, takes the same time to brew 5 gallons. If I brew more then I need I can trade it with my buddies for their stuff and I've got other friends that are willing to cover the price of materials to get a few cases of homebrew. They will come over and help bottle, etc. to cover that time. Or heck, I just give some away. The only way I can see doing 1 gallon batches (or really for me 5 gallon batches) is if I want to try something nutty. Like a coconut beer or something wacky. Remember people BUY bud, think about that. People take money, give it to another person, and get bud, or another 'premium' light larger in return. No way could you brew a beer worse then that. Somebody would be happy to have your chocolate cake beer instead of that.

If you won't brew bigger batches for yourself, do it for the less fortunate. There are beer drinkers all over the world that need your support, even in your own country, or neighborhood. Can't you give a little to them? They need your help before they have another uneducated sip! Sally Struthers would agree... Wait, no she wouldn't... Well.. screw her!

Last edited by sniperd; 01-31-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: yah know.. busy laughing at my parody of writing.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
pelipen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperjosh

what do you make the insulated circle out of? i have not seen anything like that.
If it was necessary, and probably is not if you pre-heat and hit your temps, the pink foamular foam insulation board from home depot should work. It cuts much better than styrofoam with a knife or hot wire. I just filled my lids with expanding foam.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
pelipen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperd
3) I have no idea. I went from 5->10->15. 1 gallon batches? Does not compute! What if you love it?
it's great for crazy ideas like blueberry ipa. Less to fertilize the lawn with.
15 gallons of rhubarb rye might be hard to get rid of

Quick Reply