Monster Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcb

Reaction score
Brew day with Rickster. Will have >100 lbs of grain mashing shortly. Looking to get 30 gallons of Belgian Dark Strong out of today!

image-3978187278.jpg

image-389804051.jpg

How much is too much? Notice the strategic placement of the float switch for auto sparging above the lid.... Should be interesting!

image-276046846.jpg

image-1049261034.jpg

image-1497418249.jpg

image-1596153936.jpg

image-117812383.jpg

jammin said:
Im stuck at work ... wishing i was brewing. Keep the pics coming - looks like a killer brew day!

You got it!

Recirc on one rig and spare water heating on the other

image-4282441801.jpg

image-2466663415.jpg

Finished up in about 6 1/2 hours. All cleaned up, wort at temp, yeast pitched. All is well in the universe. As a bonus, we took the second running off the 20 gallon batch and made another 5 gallon batch of a smaller beer just like the brothers of saint sixtus would do!

image-191530546.jpg

image-2810824538.jpg

ShinyBuddha said:
That's a nice setup you're got there!

Thank you! Started out with extract batches, went all grain with the stand my buddy is using in the pics and then graduated to a Brutus 10 clone that I designed and built. Scored a smoking deal on a morebeer stand used and upgraded it to 26 gallons recently... Next stop--licensed nano!

with that setup your neighbors definately gotta think your making meth.... :p

Very nice. Must have a very understanding wife lol
I've got that same brewpot, havn't used it yet though. I was gonna turn mine into a mashtun. Do you have the morebeer falsebottom that goes with it? How well do they hold temp during mash?

with that setup your neighbors definately gotta think your making meth.... :p

Very nice. Must have a very understanding wife lol
I've got that same brewpot, havn't used it yet though. I was gonna turn mine into a mashtun. Do you have the morebeer falsebottom that goes with it? How well do they hold temp during mash?

My wife is a saint - she has to put up with me and all my craziness. I use the more beer false bottom both in my mash tun and my brew kettle (it came with it) and honestly they work great. They are a little flimsy though so I would actually recommend going with a custom one from jaybird if you can afford it. I don't hate it enough to change but if I was doing it from scratch I would have the norcal guys make me one, I used to use one in my keg set up and loved it. They hold temp fine! I recirc the entire time and in this case had a pretty low water to grist ratio of like 1.1 or 1.2 instead of the normal 1.3-1.5 range for my herms system. I preheat the water in the tun to 160 (for a single temp mash) in this case the 70 degree 65 lbs of grain left me at about 144. I then used the herms coil in my HLT and recirc'd until I hit target temp of 151 and held it there for 90 minutes. Likewise mash out is just as easy, heat up the HLT to 185 and then let the herms coil do the work and bring my mash up to 170.

ShinyBuddha said:
Adopt me =)

In all seriousness though, that is a nice home brew setup. Do you ever do stepped mashes?

Yes indeed, the digital herms system makes it really easy! I've already got four kids I can't afford so sure, come join the wolf pack.

Back