Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Monkey F*&%ing a football!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
tdavisii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Monkey F*&%ing a football!

Ok! I just got done doing my first AG batch its is or it might be a Fat tire clone. I thought i knew what i was doing until i ended up with four gallons out of the lauter tun into the kettle. I guess i just felt a little lost without my dme. SO yes i felt like a monkey F(*&ing a football. one down hopefully hundreds to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I found the software is off by at least 5F, add about 10F to your sparging water and sparge until your boil pot is full (~7gal) and boil 'till you hit your SG.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

mash lauter tun was the bucket in a bucket. And no my noob self didnt account for water retention. Guess i should brew another batch to keep practicing

Old 03-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavisii
mash lauter tun was the bucket in a bucket. And no my noob self didnt account for water retention. Guess i should brew another batch to keep practicing
Get back on the horse. Your beer will be fine...just not as much.

I usually keep adding sparge water until I get at least 6 - 61/2 preboil gallons. You can always boil longer and bring that volume down.

Last week I boiled a little too long and ended up adding some spring water to the primary to bring it back up to a full 5.1 - 5.2 gallons (I account for yeast sludge I'm gonna leave behind). If your OG can handle adding some water to bring the volume up...why not. I was going for a session bitter so I didn't mind.

Quick Reply