The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > The moment you realize your thermometer is broken....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
exhumedatbirth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default The moment you realize your thermometer is broken....

Did a batch of Kolsch for an upcoming contest, and ended up a full point lower thant my estimated OG...ok I figured I must have made a mistake somewhere, but it'll be a session beer rather than a comp entry..Last weekend made a second batch of a saison recipe I've been working on..AGAIN much lower OG than my estimate..so did a calibration test on ye olde thermometer..and it was not just a few degree off..but like 15-20 degrees...sad panda here...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
FirstStateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhumedatbirth View Post
Did a batch of Kolsch for an upcoming contest, and ended up a full point lower thant my estimated OG...ok I figured I must have made a mistake somewhere, but it'll be a session beer rather than a comp entry..Last weekend made a second batch of a saison recipe I've been working on..AGAIN much lower OG than my estimate..so did a calibration test on ye olde thermometer..and it was not just a few degree off..but like 15-20 degrees...sad panda here...
I have suspected problems with my equipment and tested them as you have. Sadly, my equipment is perfect. It's my brewing that needs fixing!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
exhumedatbirth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I thought it could have been my brewing after the Kolsch failure...after the Saison where I was insane about the details I knew something was up with the temps...now I'm still going to drink these beers...and enjoy them..much like I'm enjoying the 2% lager I made when I forgot to shut off my HLT once the boil kettle was full...

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
mongcong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just discovered my thermometer was off too, by about 15-20 F as well. I've been wondering why my numbers were off and the beers were sweet, I'd been mashing WAY too high. Out to get a new one. (fingers crossed)

Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Haha...I just finished fiddling w/ 4 thermometers...maybe they are all wrong by the same variance. I like having at least two sitting on the counter next to each other...I read both as a check occasionally.

Ordered a digital stick recently direct ship from china on ebay...it reads a few tenths low in my estimation but not bad at like $3.89 to the door.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I also have experienced this problem....ruined an Oktoberfest! I was sad!

Fermenter 1: Anarchy Red IPA
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:
Fermenter 4:
Kegged/Bottled:
Coming Soon:Strawbeery Blond, Westmalle Triple Clone
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing
www.knuckleheadbrewing.com

Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Last weekend I learned my bimetal thermometer was off by about 10 degrees too hot. I normally use my glass thermomter, but this time I used this other one. Luckily I checked before the mash in or I would have had 140F water instead of 150F.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts

What do you use to "check" the thermometer? If you use freezing and boiling you only have 2 setpoints. Not sure if a thermometer is going to be "off" a consistent amount across the entire temp spectrum. To the smarter people here: would a liquid filled thermometer (such as mercury or red alcohol) be more reliable for calibrating electronic thermometers? I would not risk putting a glass thermometer in my beer, but calibration is a different story. I have a thermopen oven thermometer, 3 bimetallic thermometers and a Taylor oven thermometer. Learned that the Taylor is junk, and the others are pretty much consistent with each other. Doesn't mean ANY are correct, but I'm hitting my target OG so I assume I'm OK.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I do not like digital thermometers. I've had several and the temps would jump around. For example, I would measure a temp in a particular spot and the thermometer would read 155 degrees and the next moment it would read 145 degrees. It would never find a consistent temp. I went back to my original glass thermometer, you kmow, the one you get with your first ever homebrew kit. I tested it out at freezing and boiling and found that thermometer read 4 degrees hotter than it should at both ends. I have two set points, both off the same amount and I feel comfortable assuming my glass thermometer is consistantly off throughout the measured temperature ranges. Since switching I've been hitting my OG numbers more consistently and I can better predict if I'm going to have a dry beer or a beer with body.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

I checked my thermometer by simply reading it in the mash, then using a 'known good' glass thermometer. I usually stick the glass thermometer in the mash and 'stir' it around while watching the temp. If it jumps up in one area, I stir the mash to try to normalize the temp.

Quick Reply