Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Moment of insanity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
Drunkensatyr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default Moment of insanity

Went to the LHBS with a list. Walked out without a SINGLE item on it. Looked at the grains on the wall and decided, what the heck, lets just make a frankenbeer! This should be the IPA of almost unreproducable measures! Went in for an Irish red and instead grabbed:
11 lb pale
1.5 lb crystal 40
1 lb Munich
1 lb Rye

So, looks like the hop freezer is getting thinned down tomorrow. No clue what the hop additions will be yet, or the final IBU, but it will make itself known tomorrow morning.

Prolly use some mag, fugg, amarillo, cascade, and northern brewer. I love this! Been too damn serious about perfecting my recipes here lately. This will be a nice change.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jeez, how dare you flaunt the rules of brewing like this!

Seriously...so explain to me, what is "almost unproducable" about this? The grain bill doesn't look too crazy. Are you planning on dumping pound upon pound of hops in it?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-30-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Brew it while you're drunk, that'll make it unproducible - you won't remember what you added

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

wait...unproducible, or un-reproducible?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Should have read unREproducible. I am not measuring the hops, just guessing as I throw them in drunk. Cleaning out a bunch of old hops.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Gotcha. Now I get it. There IS something to be said for spontaneous brews, rather than the typical calculated, note-taking brew session. And it sure makes it easier on the inebriated brain cells. Have a good time, brother.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Refrigerator Ale is when you use up all of the bits & pieces before they go bad. My first batch of Bent Rod Rye had seven hops in it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Refrigerator Ale is when you use up all of the bits & pieces before they go bad. My first batch of Bent Rod Rye had seven hops in it.
The batch I did yesterday, an oatmeal stout, was the same on the grain side. 'Cept, I'm sure most of the grains were pretty stale, so I'm considering it an experiment in how long crushed grain stays viable when stored at room temp. Half-pound of carapils, 6 ounces of crystal 20, half pound of Special B... right down the line, about eight different grains in all.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply