New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Modified BIAB: hitting 85%+ efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
jaginger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Modified BIAB: hitting 85%+ efficiency

I've just started AG and after reading a bit decided to go BIAB for a little less equipment up front. I've been doing it a little bit modified though, since my 7.5 gallon kettle isn't quite large enough for a full 5.5 gallon BIAB batch.

So what I do is mash in the bag with 5.5 gallons (and the grain takes up the rest of the volume in the kettle.) After 60 mins I pull out the bag and dunk it in another bucket with 2.5 - gallons of water, then pour that water into the kettle as well.

My first 2 batches both produced over 85% efficiency. It would have been about 67% efficiency with the initial volume alone. The bag dunk got me another 18-20%. I am pretty happy with that, and it is really no trouble to do either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The dunk was your sparge. Good idea, great results.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

that is EXACTLY what I've been doing. I, too, regularly get efficiencies in the 80s. Just curious though, what is your water to grain ratio in the initial mash dunk?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My 2 grain bills have been 12 and 13 lbs, and I went with 5.5 gallons just b/c that's about all i can fit in the kettle. So 22 qts/12 lbs is almost 2 qts/lb.

My OGs are getting too high though (i expected more like 70-75%), so I can drop down to more like 10-11 lbs of grain and then I'll be over 2 qts/lb.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
Gardenhead
Recipes 

Man, I can't wait to start AG brewing. I know that I want to start with BIAB since it is the easiest equipment upgrade from extract, and I keep reading great posts like this making me think it is a good idea. I just hope I don't forget all this information...

Is there any way to subscribe to threads? I see people talking about doing it, but I can't seem to find the button...

Old 02-26-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginger View Post
My 2 grain bills have been 12 and 13 lbs, and I went with 5.5 gallons just b/c that's about all i can fit in the kettle. So 22 qts/12 lbs is almost 2 qts/lb.

My OGs are getting too high though (i expected more like 70-75%), so I can drop down to more like 10-11 lbs of grain and then I'll be over 2 qts/lb.

yeah, im atleast 1.5 qt/lb in all my BIAB. The high ratio might be the cause of the good efficiency. People will neighsay about how a high ratio extracts all kinds of unwanted flavors from the grain, but my beer tastes good, thats all that matters.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
Retarded_Penguin_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenhead View Post
Man, I can't wait to start AG brewing. I know that I want to start with BIAB since it is the easiest equipment upgrade from extract, and I keep reading great posts like this making me think it is a good idea. I just hope I don't forget all this information...

Is there any way to subscribe to threads? I see people talking about doing it, but I can't seem to find the button...
at the top of the thread there's a drop down menu that says thread tools. just click on that and then there's an option that says subscribe to thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Gardenhead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retarded_Penguin_Brewing View Post
at the top of the thread there's a drop down menu that says thread tools. just click on that and then there's an option that says subscribe to thread
Thank you! I totally missed that entire menu

Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice! This BIAB thing is becoming my recommendation for beginner all grain brewing, it's cheap, easy and it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes i did 1 brew in the bag batch and im thinking about doing more..cleanup is a breeze

Tags
biab

Quick Reply